PDA

View Full Version : Three from Koh Samui

Painted Jezebel
20-May-2007, 09:11 AM
I think I must be improving! Some shots which I am not ashamed to show, all taken 19 May.

The first two illustrate the easiest way to differentiate between the Long-banded Silverline (S. lohita senama) which has reddish-brown borders to the markings and the Club Silverline (Spindasis syama terana) with black bordered markings . The basal club marking on the underside forewing of S. syama is not usualy visible in the field.

The last pic is of Castalius rosimon rosimon (Common Pierrot). I think this is a different ssp. from what you have down South.

Les

Peacock Royal
20-May-2007, 10:12 AM
Thanks for sharing these shots. Agree, you had better shots.
Envy that you could shoot Common Pierrot there. I have not seen this species since the day I started hunting and shooting butts.

Silverstreak
20-May-2007, 01:31 PM
Les ,

Thanks for sharing your latest photographic capture of butterflies.

Me too have not seen the Common Peirrot locally. Khew has mentioned the last seen was in the 90s. :-(

BTW, in the first picture the plant which the Long Banded Silverline is resting on , the Trema tomentosa (http://plant.climb.com.tw/modules/mediawiki/index.php/Trema_tomentosa) has been suspected to be the hostplant of both silverlines...... I believe non of us has recorded their life history as yet.

Cheers!

Painted Jezebel
20-May-2007, 04:43 PM
Thanks for your comments.

I have to say that the Common Pierrot lives up to its name here. I see as many of them as I do Caleta roxus pothus (loads).

Interesting your comment on the Silverlines foodplants. My books give Gmelia arborea fo S. syama, and Dioscorea hispida, Dioscorea pentaphylla, Psidium guajava and Xylia xylocarpa for S. lohita.

Please do not ask me what the plants are, I'm still getting to grips with the butts!

If I see any ovipositing, I'll note the plant, and try to keep visiting to get the early stages for you, but don't hold your breath! By the way, is there any known relationship with an ant species for this family? I hope not, I've discovered I'm allergic to ant bites!

Les

Silverstreak
20-May-2007, 05:01 PM
Les

If I see any ovipositing, I'll note the plant, and try to keep visiting to get the early stages for you, but don't hold your breath! By the way, is there any known relationship with an ant species for this family? I hope not, I've discovered I'm allergic to ant bites!

I have no idea whether it has any relationship with ants...but most Lycaeninae have such a relationship...

:thinking:As a precaution : Perhaps swallow a few caterpillars might cure your allergy to the ants bites!!:bsmile: