View Full Version : can salvage?

bell
20-Apr-2007, 12:20 AM
Hihi
Abt a year or so ago, my bro bought me a frame consisting of preserved samples of about 8 butterflies from Thailand. Recently we noticed one of the butterflies' body seem to be rotting :( probably not preserved properly. Is there anyway I can 'save' the other butterflies? What can I do? Break the glass/frame and cut out the rotting butt? :hmmm:

Or there's no hope? I have to throw away the whole thing? :cry:
Any suggestions/advice appreciated!
Thks!

Painted Jezebel
20-Apr-2007, 08:47 AM
I don't know har far the specimen has gone, but, to avoid breaking the frame, try freezing the box for about a week or two. Museums use this method to avoid mould. Its not foolproof, but worth a try.

If that does not work, you will probably have to break the glass (v. carefully) and move the remaining butts to a new, probably more air-tight frame, and resign yourself to losing that one specimen.

Best of luck

Les

Commander
20-Apr-2007, 09:49 AM
Bel, can you elaborate on the "rotting" part? Insects have exoskeletons and in butterfly specimens, the abdomen usually dries up over time. What usually happens is that a variety of "scavengers" will eat up the specimens if the conditions are right. What you may have seen is the effect of dust mites, which leave a trail of dust-like droppings under the specimen.

In the worst cases, the specimens fall prey to beetles, cockroaches, or even lizards and ants! However, if you say that these are in a frame, it is most likely that your specimens are being attacked by dust mites.

Knowing the types of framed specimens sold in the region, it is probably in a wooden boxed frame with glass, with a softboard as a base for the pinned specimens (some are even glued on with sponge!). Look behind the frame, and unscrew the back board away from the front box, and all the specimens should come out with it. If the 'attack' is not too severe, all you need is to put in a few moth balls into the frame and screw it back.

In a severe attack situation, where the dust mites have already laid lots of eggs in the adjacent specimens, a good treatment requires Beechwood Creosote (for any signs of mold) and 1-4, dichlorobenzene crystals to kill off all stages of the scavenging mites.

Sounds complicated, but if you still want to save your specimens properly, let me know and I can help you treat the boxed frame. :)

bell
21-Apr-2007, 11:57 PM
Thks Painted Jezebell and Khew! :-)

PJ, errr... I think my family will jump at me if I try freezing it in the fridge with our food stuff :P

Khew, I'm not sure if it's dust mites, or if the butt is really rotting. But there seems to be some tiny insects around its abdomen. It's the Common Nawab specimen that's affected. I just went to look again, and I think the Lime is about to get it too! :cry:

The treatment sounds really complicated, I have no clues!! My hubby is asking me to dump the whole thing! :what: Khew, if it's not too much trouble, can help me save the specimens? I'll pay for the Beechwood, dichloroxxxxxx etc that are needed. When is convenient? I drop by your place? Thks soooooooooooooo much!!!! :)

Commander
23-Apr-2007, 04:03 PM
PJ, errr... I think my family will jump at me if I try freezing it in the fridge with our food stuff :P

As long as someone doesn't go and serve the family fried butterflies for dinner. :bsmile:

Khew, I'm not sure if it's dust mites, or if the butt is really rotting. But there seems to be some tiny insects around its abdomen. It's the Common Nawab specimen that's affected. I just went to look again, and I think the Lime is about to get it too! :cry:

Hmm... sounds like a bad attack if there are tiny bugs eating at it. Probably not properly dried before being put into the frame.

The treatment sounds really complicated, I have no clues!! My hubby is asking me to dump the whole thing! :what: Khew, if it's not too much trouble, can help me save the specimens? I'll pay for the Beechwood, dichloroxxxxxx etc that are needed. When is convenient? I drop by your place? Thks soooooooooooooo much!!!! :)

No need to throw away la. Still can salvage. Let me know when you are able to drop by, either at home (after 8:30pm) or at my office. SMS me before you come along just to make sure that I'm not out for meetings. :)

bell
23-Apr-2007, 10:38 PM
Thanks Khew! :)
Can PM or email or MSN me ur office addy? Your home addy too?
Will SMS u when I can drop by :D
Appreciate your kind help! :)

Commander
30-Apr-2007, 09:32 AM
I checked your framed specimens last night. Unlike most of the butterfly displays that are sold locally, yours is actually a high quality Riker Mount version. That is, the specimens are not pinned, but pressed with the polyfoam against the glass in the frame.

Pinned specimens in a frame tend to have more air circulating around them, and I'm not sure if that is good or bad.

In your case, the frame is quite well-sealed, and even shrink-wrapped. However, it wasn't enough to keep out the two pests which are the bane of all collectors in our humid tropics.

It's a combination of dust mites and mould :sweat: on the Common Nawab, and these will continue to spread to the other specimens in the frame if not arrested. The Nawab's hindwings have begun to suffer some deterioration and cannot be saved.

I'll need your permission to cut open up the frame from behind, and remove the foam from the specimens to treat them. After that I'll try to put them back and re-seal the frame with other types of tape.

Ok?

bell
09-May-2007, 02:57 PM
Hi Khew! Sorry for the late reply!
OK! Yes, please, go ahead to cut open to do the repair!
So sad to hear the Nawab's wing is affected.. :cry:
Hope it's not too late to save the rest.
Thanks so much!

Commander
11-May-2007, 03:25 PM
Roger... Operation Salvage in progress... :victory:

bell
14-May-2007, 06:46 PM
Thanks so much, Khew! :-) :gbounce:

bell
04-Jun-2007, 11:40 PM
Hi Khew!
Any chance of saving the specimens?
Thnks! :-)