PDA

View Full Version : Skipper ID exercise

Commander
08-Apr-2007, 10:57 PM
Spotted on Friday on my short outing. Anyone wants to take a crack at its ID? :)

Psyche
25-Dec-2010, 11:57 AM
Halpe insignis

Was looking at some of the old threads, and Lo and Bohold, something new.

Salient features : white spot near apiculus;2 subapical spots; spots in space 3,& 4.; 1 cell spot. Hindwing cilia strongly whitened.

Halpe key 1, to 2 or 3.
2 : Foerwing 2 cell spots; hindwing cilia white.
3 : Forewing 1 cell spot; hindwing cilia brown.

Neither key matched properly. However, the white cilia is always the consistent feature. In the smaller hesperids , the spots on the forewing are notoriously variable, in particular the cell spots.

In C&P4 pl 54/10 the female H insignis shows reduced cell spots and that on right side of pic (left forewing) shows only one cell spot.

H insignis is the only Halpe here with white-ciliated hindwing, hence its name ( insignis = distinctly marked ) .

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to All :cheers: :jumjoy: :jumjoy:
TL Seow

Painted Jezebel
25-Dec-2010, 12:27 PM
A very fine example of this apparently uncommon species. I have only come across this once on Samui, and as Seow says, the white hindwing cilia make this species unmistakable.

What a wonderful Xmas present for BC!

Silverstreak
25-Dec-2010, 01:28 PM
Thank you Seow!!

You are our Father Christmas ! Helping us to identify another +1 for the Singapore checklist on this joyous occasion.

With you on board , we have learned and will continue to learn from your very detailed explanations on the fine art of butterfly identification.

:cheers:

horace2264
26-Dec-2010, 01:50 AM
Khew, did you get to see the underside of the skipper when you shot it in 2007? Any white discal band? :)

Commander
26-Dec-2010, 03:08 PM
Thanks, Seow. :cheers: Your analysis got me excited for awhile, as I earlier had my doubts as to whether this was H. ormenes or H. zema. I never considered H. insignis and that prompted me to check several books after you suggested it. Furthermore, the Butterflies of Thailand had H. ormenes as having no white discal band, making me even more confused! (I believe it's probably a mistake that Pisuth will correct in his forthcoming 2nd edition).

Khew, did you get to see the underside of the skipper when you shot it in 2007? Any white discal band? :)

Yes, the white discal band is quite distinct as can be seen in the series of sequence shots. Thanks for highlighting it. What got me confused was when I referred to Butterflies of Thailand, and the pictures there show H. ormenes without any discal band.

After checking various references, I'm back to Halpe ormenes, unfortunately, so no X'mas present for us. :mad2:

Here are a series of shots that I took of this newly eclosed individual, and a selection of some of the shots in a larger format.

It's always a challenge to ID from field shots, and as Seow has pointed out, if you have some indication of the size, that sometimes helps. But if you have upperside/underside shots, then we may have a higher confidence of ID'ing it correctly.

I was later able to breed two caterpillars from the same location that I shot this individual, and the cats were still consistent with reference material of H. ormenes. Unfortunately, the host plant, a type of bamboo with scalloped trunks, was wiped out and is no longer found in that location.

Silverstreak
26-Dec-2010, 03:26 PM
Wah ! You really Kiasu !

High speed and Jpeg +Raw !!!:bsmile:

Commander
26-Dec-2010, 03:33 PM
Wah ! You really Kiasu !

High speed and Jpeg +Raw !!!:bsmile:

:old: My old man technique mah... shaky hands... so :shoot1: and hope one of the shots will turn out sharp! :bsmile:

Psyche
26-Dec-2010, 04:39 PM
Wow:omg: ! What a turn of events. From the profile shot it becomes obvious that the cilia are not as white as the band , but greyish.
Still it is not brown as stated in CP&4 's key 3.:whistle: I did thought the underside was too dark.

Les, do you have a pic of H. insignis for comparison.

Well , live and learn.:grin2:

TL Seow :-(

Commander
26-Dec-2010, 06:17 PM
No problem, Seow. :) Good that you also opened the discussion from another perspective. I wouldn't have noticed anything unusual about the white/grey cilia if you hadn't highlighted it.

Painted Jezebel
26-Dec-2010, 10:23 PM
This is what I have id'd as H. insignis. A very old photo, taken with a box brownie!!!

I'll be quite happy, and unsurprised, to be proven wrong, I hate these LBJs! I saw the white cilia and have not thought anything more about it.

Psyche
26-Dec-2010, 11:10 PM
This is what I have id'd as H. insignis. A very old photo, taken with a box brownie!!!

I'll be quite happy, and unsurprised, to be proven wrong, I hate these LBJs! I saw the white cilia and have not thought anything more about it.

After this fiasco, I went round looking at pics of H. ormenes. The cilia do varies from brown to greyish/whitish, so you know the verdict.

TL Seow:cheers:

Psyche
27-Dec-2010, 12:34 PM
On second thought, I think you got the real deal.
Its not clear on the left forewing, since it is a bit out of focus. On the right forewing underside it is definitely there.
Since cell spots are always hyaline, it will show on both surfaces.

Two cell spots and white hindwing cilia = H. insignis

TL Seow:cheers:

Painted Jezebel
27-Dec-2010, 12:45 PM
Thanks, Seow. H. ormones is still on my 'to find' list for the Island!