PDA

View Full Version : simi blue?

horace2264
26-Dec-2006, 10:01 PM
Took this shot (pic 1) two weeks ago at TBHP when the weather was better.
At first I ID'ed it as a common line blue (CLB) due to the ochreous hue. But I have doubts after comparing it with shots of CLB taken earlier myself and those in the checklists at ButterCircle and Khew's web sites, as the submarginal markings on both fore- and hindwings are much more prominent and contrasting in this specimen (see cropped region in pic 2).

Could this be due to female to male difference in CLB or another species altogether?

Horace

Commander
26-Dec-2006, 11:14 PM
This one not likely to be a Common Line Blue. Probably one of the other Nacaduba spp that is hard to ID from a field shot like this. But my opinion is that it's not a CLB.

horace2264
26-Dec-2006, 11:22 PM
This one not likely to be a Common Line Blue. Probably one of the other Nacaduba spp that is hard to ID from a field shot like this. But my opinion is that it's not a CLB.

Thanks Khew for pointing out that it is not a CLB. There are only two Nacaduba species in the checklist. It does not look like the rounded 6-line blue with the yellowish hue in the bands/stripes. Could it be the other Nacaduba in the checklist (N. beroe neon)?

Horace

Commander
26-Dec-2006, 11:36 PM
Actually, for the moment, there are 4 Nacaduba in the official Singapore checklist. There are probably at least 4 more which I have specimens of, but yet to properly catalogue and assess with the help of Dr Kirton, as there are other more urgent species to ID and I have to acknowledge that he's a busy man on the other side of the Causeway.

I know you mentioned that C&P4 is sometimes an irritation to refer to, but it's the best reference that we have. As I am outstation now, you may want to check the ID key for the Nacaduba in C&P4. Take a look at the checklist's 4 species, as well as the following, which I currently have only about 50% confidence of the ID of the specimens.

Nacaduba pactolus odon
Nacaduba subperusia lysa
Nacaduba kurava nemana
Nacaduba augusta kerriana

Thanks Khew for pointing out that it is not a CLB. There are only two Nacaduba species in the checklist. It does not look like the rounded 6-line blue with the yellowish hue in the bands/stripes. Could it be the other Nacaduba in the checklist (N. beroe neon)?

Horace

horace2264
27-Dec-2006, 12:00 AM
Actually, for the moment, there are 4 Nacaduba in the official Singapore checklist. There are probably at least 4 more which I have specimens of, but yet to properly catalogue and assess with the help of Dr Kirton, as there are other more urgent species to ID and I have to acknowledge that he's a busy man on the other side of the Causeway.

I know you mentioned that C&P4 is sometimes an irritation to refer to, but it's the best reference that we have. As I am outstation now, you may want to check the ID key for the Nacaduba in C&P4. Take a look at the checklist's 4 species, as well as the following, which I currently have only about 50% confidence of the ID of the specimens.

Nacaduba pactolus odon
Nacaduba subperusia lysa
Nacaduba kurava nemana
Nacaduba augusta kerriana

Oh, I missed out the N. pavana singapura and N. calauria malayica from the checklist. In these two species, the stripes/bands are very straight and ``bolder'' and lacking the yellow hue (using photos shown in ButterflyCircle checklist).

As for the other 4 species given by you, using plate 37 of C&P4, I can rule out N. pactolus odon, N. subperusia lysa and N. augusta kerriana as they lack the basal pair of lines in the forewing.

Two possible IDs remain: N. beroe neon and N. kurava nemana.

Horace