View Full Version : Updates to C&P4

Commander
17-Dec-2006, 11:41 PM
For scientific accuracy, particularly after the late Col JN Eliot wrote the latest article on "Updating The Butterflies of the Malay Peninsula", I have made some amendments to the official Singapore Checklist (http://www.geocities.com/hexaglider/sgchecklist.htm).

The article, in Malayan Nature Journal Vol 59 Part 1 Oct 2006, pp 1-59, lists a comprehensive series of changes in the taxonomical naming of some of the families, tribes, etc. Whilst parts of the article are very scientific in nature and rather complex for the casual reader, much of the article is quite readable.

Two immediate changes that are applicable to us :

Centaur Oak Blue is now renamed to Arhopala centaurus nakula
Banded Royal is now renamed to Rachana jalindra burbona.:cheers:

Commander
20-Jun-2007, 11:08 AM
SC, I see where the confusion lies now. I had mistakenly updated the species name instead of the genus name. :embrass:

On page 15 of the C&P4 updated, Col Eliot mentions :

Eliotia. The genus name should revert to Rachana Eliot, and the first sentence (in the old C&P4) should read :

The name Eliotia Hayashi was erected for this genus, and has a few weeks' priority over RachanaEliot. However, the former is preoccupied and has been replaced by Eliotiana Kocak, 1996., which can be considered a subgenus of Rachana for a small group of Philippine species with different secondary sexual characteristics (Eliot & Kirton, 2000)

Hence the Banded Royal's scientific name should revert to Rachana jalindra burbona.

Sorry for the confusion caused. :sweat: