View Full Version : Need help in ID of grass yellows

horace2264
05-Nov-2006, 11:32 PM
I was going through my recent shots of grass yellows taken at various places, and realized that I need help to confirm the IDs of these two shots.

Pic 1: Common Grass yellow?

Pic 2: Eurema Andersonli?

Would the experts here please help to confirm and suggest the correct IDs?

Horace

Commander
07-Nov-2006, 09:39 AM
Not easy to positively ID these out in the field, as the ID characteristics are partly obscured. The first one is most likely as you have ID'ed it - E. hecabe contubernalis, whilst the 2nd one is quite hard to confirm.

For #1, the two cell spots are clearly visible, but often the 3rd spot of E. blanda snelleni is very close to the wing base and is hidden in field shots like these. However, the upperside black border, which can be seen thru' the wings, is rather broad, which suggests that it's more likely a Common Grass Yellow.

For #2, you're right in suggesting that it's an E. andersonii cos you can only see one cell spot, but we can't be sure though, cos the forewing is slightly more tucked in under the hindwing and there may be a spot that we may have missed, which can't be seen in the shot. The single spot is also rather light, and could have already been slightly rubbed off. Other than that, all the other markings on this specimen makes it look similar to your first shot.

In these Grass Yellows, wear and tear also makes ID difficult. I've seen some obviously positive species like the Chocolate Grass Yellow with no cell spots at all! But these were probably rubbed off due to wear and tear.

horace2264
07-Nov-2006, 10:48 AM
Thanks SK for the comments on the IDs.
With the visual distinction between these GY based on just a few cell spots, and the fact that they can be absent due to wear-and-tear, it is definitely a difficult task to ID them. It looks like for one to ID an Eurema Andersonii Andersonii more positively, a fresh specimen with clean cell spots is necessary.

Horace