PDA

View Full Version : Another predator of the NBGY

Commander
05-Nov-2006, 03:59 PM
I was trailing a male NBGY this morning as it was happily flitting from one flower to the next, and appeared like a good candidate for a shot.

What happened next was one of those typical nature brutality that forms the circle of life in the field. This rather large robberfly, zipped in and impaled the poor Grass Yellow on its spear-like modified proboscis and the poor butt was dead in an instant. I wonder if there is any poison injected into the butt as well.

The robberfly then flew off with its prey, and appeared rather strange, this yellow object flying and almost hovering in mid-air. It then moved off to a shady spot on a branch to enjoy feeding on its lunch. ;P

Considering the very precarious existence butts lead, it's a wonder that there are still so many of them. They get picked on by predators, parasitic wasps, birds, lizards, etc., at all stages of their lives. Basically, they have no defence or any chance to attack back in self-defense. :thinking:

Sky Blue
05-Nov-2006, 04:15 PM
You're fast! Nice shot there :cheers:

Silverstreak
05-Nov-2006, 04:27 PM
As far as NBGY is concerned , khew's has the fastest hands and legs amongst all of us!;-)

:bsmile:

Banded Royal
05-Nov-2006, 04:35 PM
As far as NBGY is concerned , khew's has the fastest hands and legs amongst all of us!;-)

:bsmile:

u guys forgot is it??? khew is the pontianak...:bsmile:

Commander
05-Nov-2006, 04:39 PM
As far as NBGY is concerned , khew's has the fastest hands and legs amongst all of us! ;-)

With some extra push from Sunny actually... :)

u guys forgot is it??? khew is the pontianak...:bsmile:

Hello stranger. Long time no see. Pontianak got hand and legs one meh? :thinking:

Sky Blue
05-Nov-2006, 05:01 PM
pontianak is always on the tree one right?

Commander
05-Nov-2006, 06:57 PM
pontianak is always on the tree one right?

Dunno.. must ask Janet. She seems to know a lot about pontianaks. :bsmile:

The Monarch
05-Nov-2006, 07:12 PM
Solid shot, one of my favourite subjects the robberfly.

Cruiser
05-Nov-2006, 07:34 PM
Best moment captured! Everything is in focus :thumbsup:

Banded Royal
05-Nov-2006, 08:51 PM
Dunno.. must ask Janet. She seems to know a lot about pontianaks. :bsmile:

since khew got the fastest hands & legs & he always float...he's definitely the pontianak...tat's y he can get all the shots at watever angles & height...

u guys go butt hunting wif him must be careful, he will suddenly just float & glide past u without u even realising & suddenly he will show u shots of butts tat u dun even realise was there....:whistle:

Commander
05-Nov-2006, 09:33 PM
Solid shot, one of my favourite subjects the robberfly.

Best moment captured! Everything is in focus :thumbsup:

Thanks guys. Wasn't really going after this chap, except that it looked so strange with that yellow thing flying in the shade. SC met me when I was shooting this bugger in deep shade. Luckily, there was a patch of bright light in the background.

Unlike the usual small robberflies, this one buzzes loudly when flying around. Can't miss it.