PDA

View Full Version : Why our Peablue is different?

horace2264
17-Oct-2006, 01:34 AM
Have been looking at various pictures of peablue taken at Ubin and Punggol, one peablue shot at Punggol looks quite a bit different
from that shown in the checklist.
See the following pictures for a comparison. The second pic is taken from the checklist, and the 1st was shot recently at Punggol. Is this another variation?

Common Mime
17-Oct-2006, 09:14 AM
Hi Harace,

Instead of saying the shots above has the differences, why not you share with us your opinion on which area/part of the butt do you think they are different?

Sorry but I cant really tell the difference except for they are different butt. Anyway, I am always very poor in IDing a butt...:embrass:

horace2264
17-Oct-2006, 10:21 AM
Hi Harace,

Instead of saying the shots above has the differences, why not you share with us your opinion on which area/part of the butt do you think they are different?

Sorry but I cant really tell the difference except for they are different butt. Anyway, I am always very poor in IDing a butt...:embrass:

As a beginner, I am poor in IDing a butt and spot the differences too. In addition, I also lack the knowledge of the appropriate terminology to refer to the various parts of the butterfly wings. Let me try: Nearer to the outer/posterior margin (termen), there is this prominent white streak on both wings in the checklist shot whereas in the other pic, this white streak is very much diminished. European verson of Peablues in the various websites, this white streak is even much more prominent. Could this be due to local variations of diet and different expression of the same gene responsible for wing patterns? Or is this a difference due to male/female difference?

Horace

Silverstreak
17-Oct-2006, 02:17 PM
Noted that there is only one sample in the checklist.... this could be an aberration of marking on that particular Peablue in the checklist, which I believe is fairly common in the Blues.

Went thru my archives of Peablue shots in Ubin and compare them side by side with those from Punggol and they appear the same to me.

The only discernable difference is perhap the white chevron marking on the hidwing as circled.

#1 is from Punggol (Top Left)

#2 and #3 are from P Ubin.

horace2264
17-Oct-2006, 05:36 PM
Thank you Sunny for the detailed look at the difference I was referring to.

A check at the website http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~EY4Y-TKNM/Polyomatinae-Phil/Lampides.html
(where the undersides of both female and male specimens are shown) seems to indicate that the specimen with more prominent white stripes on both hing- and fore-wings are female, and the other is male. Maybe someone familiar with both sexes of peablue can help to confirm or reject this conjecture?

Horace

Sky Blue
18-Oct-2006, 07:51 AM
ok, time to update the photos Pea Blue in checklist ;-)

guys, attach yr photos here, will choose some & upload to the checklist

horace2264
19-Oct-2006, 10:09 AM
A check at the website http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~EY4Y-TKNM/Polyomatinae-Phil/Lampides.html
(where the undersides of both female and male specimens are shown) seems to indicate that the specimen with more prominent white stripes on both hing- and fore-wings are female, and the other is male. Maybe someone familiar with both sexes of peablue can help to confirm or reject this conjecture?

The BP's book on butterflies by Steven Neo has a mating pair picture of the peablue, and the markings on the undersides of both male/female have the difference indicated by the asahi-net site as well. I am now convinced that the difference is due to male/female difference.

Horace

Sky Blue
19-Oct-2006, 06:42 PM
Thanks for sharing ;-)

Peacock Royal
24-Oct-2006, 10:48 PM
Ok, shot this mating pair today at NE of SG.

horace2264
25-Oct-2006, 02:33 PM
Ok, shot this mating pair today at NE of SG.
My guess is that the left one is female.

Horace