View Full Version : Delias pasithoe parthenope

Sky Blue
28-Apr-2006, 07:17 PM
This species already gone extinct in SG? Realized that it's in the checklist but never encounter them :thinking:

Cruiser
28-Apr-2006, 08:37 PM
how is it look like?

Cruiser
30-Apr-2006, 10:54 PM
Ok this is the one. Already got its pic liao ;-)

Commander
30-Apr-2006, 11:01 PM
Erm... that isn't Delias pasithoe, BJ. What you shot is the Red Spot Sawtooth. :)

Rustic
30-Apr-2006, 11:23 PM
Delias pasithoe
706 x 705 pixels - 67k - jpg
www.richard-seaman.com

http://www.richard-seaman.com/Insects/Vietnam/Butterflies/BlackYellowAndRedVietnameseButterfly.jpg

報喜斑粉蝶Delias pasithoe ...
800 x 600 pixels - 97k - jpg
www.hknature.net

http://www.hknature.net/chi/ecodiary/photos/Common%20Black%20Jezebel.jpg

Commander
30-Apr-2006, 11:47 PM
This species already gone extinct in SG? Realized that it's in the checklist but never encounter them :thinking:

In the field of animal ecology, I believe a period of 50 years should pass without a sighting of the species before it is placed on the 'extinct' list. Perhaps Jac can shed some light on the convention and methodology.

There are other species in the Singapore checklist for which we have at least a voucher specimen, but have not seen them for the period after 1995 (when I started the surveys). Most of these species were surveyed/captured by Steven Neo in the early 90's.

Delias pasithoe parthenope (last seen at Mandai area)
Elymnias penanga penanga (last seen on Pulau Ubin)
Mycalesis perseiodes perseiodes
Hypolimnas misippus misippus (last seen at Mandai area)
Castalius rosimon rosimon (last seen at Mandai area)
Arhopala aedias agnis (last seen at MacRitchie area)
Arhopala major major (ID not certain)
Jacoona anasuja anasuja (last seen at Mandai area - near reservoir edge)All the rest of the species were recorded post-1995, and there is at least a voucher specimen for all of them, with the exception of Ancema blanka blanka which was ID'ed from the shot that Federick and I took at TBHP.

Cruiser
01-May-2006, 05:26 PM
Erm... that isn't Delias pasithoe, BJ. What you shot is the Red Spot Sawtooth. :)

:embrass: thx for the correction.

Cruiser
01-May-2006, 05:28 PM
These species could just like the harlequin hiding somewhere in the wooded areas :thinking:

Commander
01-May-2006, 05:37 PM
Yup. New species to the Singapore Checklist are always waiting to be discovered. :) Just like that female Euthalia merta merta that appeared in front of the group of us, hung around awhile just to be shot, and then disappeared as quickly as it had appeared. First time I've seen a female.

More likely to discover new species in the north/western parts of Singapore... and of course, Ubin and Tekong. ;-)