View Full Version : Behaviour of Malayan Eggfly

Common Mime
21-Dec-2005, 02:35 PM
This is not the first time I witness a female Malayan Eggfly "guarding" the eggs but did not know that she actually stays there even the eggs are hatched into larva. Have anyone encountered this behaviour for a butterfly before? Or I am the only one that do not know? :embrass:

#1. Check the abdomen of this mother, very big and make her very difficult to fly :sweat: . Finally settle down underneath a leaf of the host plant but not yet laying egg. Would love to witness the egg laying process in future, if time permits.

#2. Mother "guarding" the larvas.

#3. Closeup on the larvas. These larvas are not newly hatched, perhaps in the late 1st instar or 2nd instar rather.

Common Mime
21-Dec-2005, 02:51 PM
Following photos are yet to confirm to be the larva of the Malayan Eggfly but I do believe that they are and soon, I shall be able to confirm this. ;-)

#4. The shed skins

#5. The larva

#6 & #7. Closeup for the side view.

#8. Head shot.

Sky Blue
21-Dec-2005, 09:10 PM
read it somewhere they certain species showing the "guarding" behavior, someone actually found a mum standing there until die...:sweat:

Following photos are yet to confirm to be the larva of the Malayan Eggfly but I do believe that they are and soon, I shall be able to confirm this. ;-).wait for yr good news ;-)

Common Mime
28-Dec-2005, 02:35 PM
More photos of the Eggfly.

My hair all stand when I see the larva all over the place. On the plants, on the ground,...etc

My own conclusion about this Malayan Eggffly is that the mortality rate of the larvas is pretty high. They can't grip well onto the leaf or branches therefore one heavy rain could have wiped the whole family off since their host plant cannot be found at the ground level. Also, they could get parasited pretty easy I believe.

I stood there for about ten minutes, I saw many cats committing suicide, jumping down (fell). Besides that, they might eat to death before they manage to pupate at the nearby bushes. Too bad, I couldn't find a single pupa of it :thinking: .

1st photo shown the 2nd instar larvas. 2nd photo shown the 3rd instar larva (spikes turn orange but the head capsule still in dark brown color).
4th, 5th, & 6th photos showing the cats fall all over the place. On other plants, ground, and the last photo on the Common Asystasia. ;-)

Common Mime
28-Dec-2005, 02:42 PM
#1. Get parasited or what?

#2. Closer look at the 3rd instar larva

Common Mime
03-Jan-2006, 07:27 PM
Confirmed the host plant for Malayan Eggfly and Ancyra Blue is Pipturus argenteus from the Urticaceae family.

http://www.brisrain.webcentral.com.au/old_site/database/Piptu_argenteus.htm

#1. Both side of the dried leaf
#2. The fresh leaves
#3. The seeds of the Pipturus argenteus
#4. The flower of the Pipturus argenteus

Peacock Royal
03-Jan-2006, 09:37 PM
Well done, good info. Very soon you will be an expert in iding the host plants as well.

Sky Blue
04-Jan-2006, 10:23 PM
well done CM :cheers:
need to take note that the Ancyra Blue are feed on the flower.

Sky Blue
04-Jan-2006, 10:38 PM
Btw, this is also the recorded host plant for Malayan Eggfly in Philippines as well :-)

I also combined yr observation of eggs guarding behaviour together with the finding of the author of butt of HK into the chklist (http://www.b-pals.com/butts/spc_info.php?spc_id=78)

Common Mime
07-Feb-2006, 10:11 PM
This is the pupa of Malayan Eggfly shot by Ortega at CS.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=176026

I have one too but not as good, hence pointing you guys to see his first until I got a better shot then I post mine. When the cat is going to pupate, it will look for another plant other than it's host plant, I am thinking may be it is because of its host plant is too soft or dry out very fast or will be eaten very soon by its siblings. Hence, safer to pupate elsewhere.

Soon, I will be able to confirm the cat is belongs to Malayan Eggfly or Great Eggfly ;-)

Sky Blue
07-Feb-2006, 11:29 PM
yup, quite a nice shot.

waiting to see the result ;-)

Common Mime
17-Feb-2006, 06:21 PM
Confirmed that these are larvas of Malayan Eggfly.

Silverstreak
21-Nov-2006, 05:53 PM
Fairly huge cat almost 5-6 cm in length , suspect it is a moth of some kind. The whole plant was infested with at least 30-40 of them.

Commander
21-Nov-2006, 06:25 PM
That looks like one of those Eggfly cats, either subspecies bolina or jacintha. Compare with the shots taken by CM when he bred them.

Common Mime
21-Nov-2006, 07:26 PM
Looks like the Malayan Eggfly especially you mention "The whole plant was infested with at least 30-40 of them."

http://b-pals.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3214

So far from my own observation, only Malayan Eggfly lays egg in bulk while the Great Eggfly and Jacintha Eggfly lay either single egg or few eggs.

Sunny, what do it feed on?

Silverstreak
24-Nov-2006, 12:05 AM
CM ,

As requested , the host plan...

EarlyStages
26-Nov-2006, 05:29 PM
For those wanting to learn more about the Malayan Eggfly's (Hypolimnas anomala) exceptional maternal behavior of egg "guarding", here's an abridged copy of a report from insular Guam. If interested in receiving the source PDF, 776 Kb with three figures and one table, please send me a PM.

May I suggest this thread be renamed "Malayan Eggfly Behavior"? Thank you.

Keith

Common Mime
26-Nov-2006, 05:55 PM
Hi Keith,

Many thanks for your contribution with regards to the write up for the guarding behaviour shown by the Hypolimnas anomala.

Instead of renaming the thread, I decide to merge the thread with an earlier thread which has the same duscussion. :)

CM ,
As requested , the host plan...Hi Sunny,

Thanks for the photos. Yes, I can 99.99% confirm these are the larvaes of the Hypolimnas anomala.

Silverstreak
26-Nov-2006, 07:23 PM
Hypolimnas anomala[/I].

We will know for 100% soon, I took back four cats and they have pupated.

:cheers:

Silverstreak
02-Dec-2006, 04:40 PM
Eclosed this morning and released , confirmed it is the cat for the Hypolimnas anomala anomala (Malayan Eggfly).

:cheers:

Silverstreak
27-Feb-2007, 04:58 PM
Saw this torn eggfly earlier fluttering on the hostplant ....saw her again 3 hours later under a leaf....

On closer inspection then realised she was dead, but steadfastly guarding her clutch of eggs ...... she literately died standing , guading her eggs!!

Sky Blue
27-Feb-2007, 05:01 PM
salute her !!

So they really behave that way as recorded in book.

Commander
27-Feb-2007, 05:42 PM
Sad eh? After making sure she created the next generation, she passed on to the next life. :thinking:

Common Mime
27-Feb-2007, 06:13 PM
That's why I alwyas believe the butterflies life is at the stage where they are caterpillar. They live up to 1 month just to eat eat eat.

After becoming a butterfly, they busy looking for mate, lay egg and that's it.

Sky Blue
27-Feb-2007, 07:59 PM
someone tell me, life is not measure by how long u live...

another one tell me, life started after u die...;P