View Full Version : A butterfly to ID

tanghb
21-Nov-2005, 09:46 PM
Hi all,

I'd like to ask for your help with the ID of this butterfly. Thanks in advance!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/tanghb/2005_sg_Nature/20051121_1507_Kent_Ridge_Rd_Butterf.jpg

Peacock Royal
21-Nov-2005, 09:56 PM
This is Spalgis epius epius (The Apefly).
See here. (http://www.geocities.com/rainforest/vines/2382/lycaenidae/epius.htm)
Hi Tang, school holidays begin liow, didn't go out and shoot ?

Sky Blue
21-Nov-2005, 10:11 PM
wow, very sharp Apefly shot :thumbsup:
too bad the wings broken :-(

tanghb
21-Nov-2005, 10:16 PM
Hi Federick,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I was confused by the patch of brown on the wing.

Yes, school holiday has begun, so did my work attachment. I may be shooting a lot of butterflies for my work attachment - my work attachment is with RMBR and they may want someone to help them take digital photos of their butterfly collections. Would appreiciate it if anyone here can advise on the techniques for photographing preserved butterfly specimen?

Thanks!

Commander
21-Nov-2005, 10:23 PM
Tang, that's a good thing that you're doing for RMBR. They have the database in the computer, but probably would like to attach the photos of the individual specimens to the database.

If you look hard enough at the labels, you will find a few of my specimens there... ;-) Quite a number of them are also contributed by my long time guru, MJV Miller. Most of his specimens are collected from Penang and Langkawi.

Anyway, you'll need a ring flash to shoot the set specimens, otherwise you'll end up with ugly shadows. Also advise RMBR that for each specimen that you shoot, put a scale rule at the bottom of the specimen. That would give another added info on the specimen - that of the wingspan, which we often cannot tell, cos there is no reference to any scale. A small butterfly can look big, just because it fills the screen.

Good luck! There are thousands of specimens there for you to shoot :sweat:

tanghb
21-Nov-2005, 11:12 PM
Hi Khew,

Thanks for your advice! If you think of anything else that I should note when photographing specimens, please let me know.

I think they would like me to start with those collected in Singapore first.