View Full Version : Female Common Palmfly & Tawny Palmfly

Common Mime
15-Aug-2005, 02:06 PM
Anyone has the photograph for the above mentioned species? Underside.

Can the gender be tell from the underside?

If it is not possible to tell the gender from the underside, while there is one with a "white" (or bright rather) band at the side on both hind & forewings (like what Tawny Palmfly does). Can I say that it is a Tawny palmfly? The overall color is not as dark as the Common Palmfly.

Thanks.

Rustic
15-Aug-2005, 02:14 PM
http://www.fotofile.org/photopost/data/6099/118DSC_7288_sz-1200_LVL_USM-med.JPG

I think u need the upperside to determine the sex.

Common Mime
15-Aug-2005, 02:18 PM
I think so too. But they are like NEVER open their wing. Need Richard's help. :bsmile:

Think the one I saw was a Tawny Palmfly then.

Thanks CP!

Rustic
15-Aug-2005, 02:32 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/skyflash/Butterflies%20-%20Singapore/2005-Pulau-Ubin/DSC_8334_sz-600_USM.jpg

then, aim for such specimens. :P

Common Mime
15-Aug-2005, 02:41 PM
Wah! I tot a new species! :what:

then, aim for such specimens. :PAim for which specimen? I have both species :prrr:

Rustic
15-Aug-2005, 02:48 PM
Wah! I tot a new species! :what:

Aim for which specimen? I have both species :prrr:

Aim for specimens whose wings were broken and hence revealing the upperside when closed.

spec·i·men
1. An individual, item, or part representative of a class, genus, or whole.

spe·cies
1. Biology.
1. A fundamental category of taxonomic classification, ranking below a genus or subgenus and consisting of related organisms capable of interbreeding.
2. An organism belonging to such a category, represented in binomial nomenclature by an uncapitalized Latin adjective or noun following a capitalized genus name, as in Ananas comosus, the pineapple, and Equus caballus, the horse.

Commander
15-Aug-2005, 02:56 PM
:thinking: Hmmm... the man has indeed gotten wiser after his birthday.

Common Mime
15-Aug-2005, 02:59 PM
Aim for specimens whose wings were broken and hence revealing the upperside when closed.

spec·i·men
1. An individual, item, or part representative of a class, genus, or whole.

spe·cies
1. Biology.
1. A fundamental category of taxonomic classification, ranking below a genus or subgenus and consisting of related organisms capable of interbreeding.
2. An organism belonging to such a category, represented in binomial nomenclature by an uncapitalized Latin adjective or noun following a capitalized genus name, as in Ananas comosus, the pineapple, and Equus caballus, the horse.
Thanks for the lesson. Do you have a layman version? :embrass:

After a second look at your specimen, now I think I saw a Common Palmfly :hmmm:

Common Mime
15-Aug-2005, 03:00 PM
:thinking: Hmmm... the man has indeed gotten wiser after his birthday.On his birthday you mean? ;P

Commander
15-Aug-2005, 03:10 PM

:bsmile: I thought you were going to ask him for a Chinese version.

Common Mime
15-Aug-2005, 03:14 PM
:bsmile: I thought you were going to ask him for a Chinese version.
I dun mind if he is willing to :thumbsup: .

Rustic
15-Aug-2005, 03:14 PM

After a second look at your specimen, now I think I saw a Common Palmfly :hmmm:

Where u spotted the specimen? Macritchie reservoir?
Do u recall any "spots"? If no spots, likely to be Common Palmfly.

Common Mime
15-Aug-2005, 03:33 PM
Where u spotted the specimen? Macritchie reservoir?
Do u recall any "spots"? If no spots, likely to be Common Palmfly.Below my office, the bush area. Besides, I saw a Common Mormon, Common Palmfly (w/o spot), and a skipper, those red eye type, looks like a banana skipper as the wings are quite plain but w/o the whilte tip. Not a coconut skipper as well since there are not other spots or marking, it was plain and the eyes are not red :prrr: . Of course, this one lor. Nevermind, I have her young one with me ;-).

Common Mime
26-Aug-2005, 05:35 PM
I think the white patches on the underside of a female Common Palmfly is more obvious than a make which has a rather dark reddish brown underside. This is based on my observation for the past one week below my office.

The quantity of male seems like more than the female?

I find them like to walk on the leaves by dragging their abdomen touching the leaf. Any special reason?

Common Mime
10-Mar-2007, 07:17 PM
Just a record shot of the mating Common Palmfly ;P