PDA

View Full Version : Another ID help please.

tanghb
10-Aug-2005, 05:06 PM
Another butterfly I saw during my recent birding trip. Please help.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v18/tanghb/Butterfly/Butterfly01_Kalang.jpg

Common Mime
10-Aug-2005, 05:21 PM
Tang, this is a female Cruiser, Vindula dejone erotella. ;-)

tanghb
10-Aug-2005, 05:32 PM
Thanks Chee Ming for the prompt reply.

I usually check through the index page of Khew's website. The index page shows only the thumbnail of the male butterfly. That's why I missed that.

Common Mime
10-Aug-2005, 05:46 PM
Sounds like you are blaming yourself for not doing homework before posting your question. Please do not do so here, you will spoil the market here... Those senior members like those Founding Members, Pioneer Members are more than happy to offer their help here I believe.

Another checklist you may want to check is this (http://b-pals.com/home/checklists_main.php), I find more update as Khew had stopped updating his website for quite sometimes? (Dun flame me ;P ) But our hardworking farmer is doing a very good job to maintain and update this website. :thumbsup:

From there, you can read all about the butt and also, there's link to see more pic of the same species, just like this (http://b-pals.com/butts/spc_photo.php?spc_id=70&img_list_id=9)

Hooray BPals! :cheers:

Just in case if you lost the link, it can be found on the main page of BPals, www.butterflypals.com ;-)

tanghb
10-Aug-2005, 10:34 PM
That's a great website! The 269 species are described and organized neatly, with Chinese names also! Is Khew maintaining that website also? It would be even more helpful to layman like me if on the species information page, images of both male and female, upperside and underside are displayed on the same page, so that user does not need to click the [More photos] link. I understand that it is very difficult to get a complete set of 4 images for each species, but with the contribution of the hardworking Bpals photographers here, this could be an achievable goal.

I recently bought the Science Centre guide book on Singapore butterflies which says there are 380 species recorded in Singapore, 55 have been extinct. So there should be 325 species still existing. Is there a list of all these species also?

Green Baron
10-Aug-2005, 11:14 PM
Tang,
That checklist is actually part of ButterflyPals website and forum. It is developed by Soon Chye. Some of the contents are taken from Khew's website while the photos are contributed by BPals members. Our aim is to have a complete checklist with photos showing male/female, upper/underside and every forms.

Sky Blue
11-Aug-2005, 12:28 AM
yup, without the support from bpals members the list will never growth so fast.

not that we don't want to display all the images in one page, but that will take a lot of time to load the page then. but may one day we can do that when most of the world enjoy broadband.

I'll post the list of b-pals contributors soon, see if any new members here interested to contribute their photos too :-)

Commander
11-Aug-2005, 09:41 AM
Thanks to SC's hard work in the background, building the list. Perhaps Neo can also help to 'audit' the photos. There are several wrong ones which may have been accidentally put in. E.g. there's a shot of a female Horsfield's Baron amongst the Malay Baron shots, and the two shots of Deudorix elioti are actually of the Cornelian.

I'll let SC know of others if I spot any. Just browsed thru' shortly last night. Sorry that I haven't been keeping watch on the accuracy of the info. :embrass:

Common Mime
11-Aug-2005, 09:47 AM
I can also offer my service but I doubt I am the right candidate. Perhaps I should read and ask silly questions?
:bsmile:

Commander
11-Aug-2005, 09:48 AM
I can also offer my service but I doubt I am the right candidate. Perhaps I should read and ask silly questions?
:bsmile:

Good idea! :thumbsup: Then you can also read up about the details in C&P4 if someone explains to you the cheem terms used in the book.

Common Mime
11-Aug-2005, 09:52 AM
Good idea! :thumbsup: Then you can also read up about the details in C&P4 if someone explains to you the cheem terms used in the book. :sweat: C&P4. I will try when I get it back next Monday. Now reading another book from UK borrowed from NLB. Very few species but simple to read ;P .

Common Rose
11-Aug-2005, 11:18 AM
Thanks to SC's hard work in the background, building the list. Perhaps Neo can also help to 'audit' the photos. There are several wrong ones which may have been accidentally put in. E.g. there's a shot of a female Horsfield's Baron amongst the Malay Baron shots, and the two shots of Deudorix elioti are actually of the Cornelian.
roger.

Sky Blue
11-Aug-2005, 08:52 PM

I'll let SC know of others if I spot any. Just browsed thru' shortly last night. Sorry that I haven't been keeping watch on the accuracy of the info. :embrass:
b4 I remove it, just to reconfirm this is the one (http://b-pals.com/butts/photo/102_1101824590.jpg) :confused:

ya, the rest if you spot anything inaccurate, pls let me know k ;-)

Commander
11-Aug-2005, 08:59 PM
b4 I remove it, just to reconfirm this is the one (http://b-pals.com/butts/photo/102_1101824590.jpg) :confused:

ya, the rest if you spot anything inaccurate, pls let me know k ;-)

Yes, thanks. Can add it to the Horsfield's Baron list. I think Bob's surname should be Cheong, right?

tanghb
11-Aug-2005, 10:50 PM
Hi Sky Blue

>not that we don't want to display all the images in one page, but that will take a lot of time to load the page then.

If thumbnails of the images are displayed, instead of the full size images, then the page should load quite fast.

Cheers