PDA

View Full Version : Happy 40th B'Day, Singapore! And 269th species

Commander
09-Aug-2005, 04:20 PM
Ok... ok... but it wasn't me who shot the latest addition to the Singapore Checklist. It was our senior butt attractant, Richard. Though the species is known to be migratory, from the looks of Richard's shot, it looks pristine enough and didn't appear to have suffered the long journey from up north in Malaysia.

So I'll leave the suspense here, and wait for Richard to post his shots... This butt has a wingspan of about 70-90mm from tip to tip, so it's no small bugger. :redbounce

Peacock Royal
09-Aug-2005, 04:46 PM
Like what you said, new species were discorvered around previous National Day periods also. No exception this year. :redbounce
Don't mind I making a guess here : Clipper ?

Commander
09-Aug-2005, 05:19 PM
Like what you said, new species were discorvered around previous National Day periods also. No exception this year. :redbounce
Don't mind I making a guess here : Clipper ?

Heh heh... ya 2005 has been a rather good year. I think we chalked up at least 5 new species into the Singapore Checklist this year. :cheers:

No... not Clipper. Something slightly smaller...

Elbowed Pierrot
09-Aug-2005, 06:17 PM
sounds exciting

Common Rose
09-Aug-2005, 06:38 PM
possibility of ... escapee?

Cruiser
09-Aug-2005, 07:40 PM
Ok... ok... but it wasn't me who shot the latest addition to the Singapore Checklist. It was our senior butt attractant, Richard. Though the species is known to be migratory, from the looks of Richard's shot, it looks pristine enough and didn't appear to have suffered the long journey from up north in Malaysia.

So I'll leave the suspense here, and wait for Richard to post his shots... This butt has a wingspan of about 70-90mm from tip to tip, so it's no small bugger. :redbounce

So are you going to post your Great Orange Tip pic since Richard has already posted his :-)

Rustic
25-Aug-2005, 01:37 AM
(Just for academic discussion)

Was stalled for many hours last night because of one species -- Common Duffer. Could not find any match on all my Taiwanese book. Managed to compare the underside against HKLS' plates. After that, I did a google search, and realise that this species cause some big hoohaa in Taiwan.

Back in Aug-2002 (?), some specimens of it was captured. And, since then, it is regularly found (but well blended into the vegetation). However, my materials did not include it as they were dated before 2000.

http://felix33.suddenlaunch2.com/index.cgi?board=avid&action=print&board=avid&num=1029924609

Discophora sondaica tulliana [Amathusiidae]
Seldom seen in Taiwan butterfly books.
Only listed as D.sondaica in Frank Hsu's Butterflies
of Taiwan Vol.1 (probably no more volumes will be added)
The subspecies in HK is tulliana, may be the same in Taiwan.
You can flush them out if you beat about bamboo clusters
and they won't fly too far away before settling down.

http://e-info.org.tw/news/taiwan/2002/ta02091201.htm

鳳眼方環蝶原產於中國大陸華南地區、香港、菲律賓、新加坡、印尼…等地,當年於基隆所記錄到的蝴蝶推測可能 因燈光的誘引而躲入船艙內偷渡登台,由於其剛好適應台灣的氣候環境,幼蟲又以低海拔山區常見的多種竹子為食 ,再加上良好的飛行能力,讓牠在短短的四年間即已擴散族群入侵至台北盆地。

{Common Duffer can be found in Southern China, Hong Kong, ... Singapore ... The first record in KeeLung port could be lured into the cabin (of boat/ship) by light and migrate to Taiwan. And, the species may have found the environment well-suited & its caterpillars may feast on many bamboo species found in low land. With its strong flight, they have spreaded & invaded into Taipei plains within a short period of 4 years}.