View Full Version : Preserve a dead butt

Common Mime
25-Jul-2005, 06:17 PM
Found a twenty cents coin at the corner of my bed room. Take a closer look, it is a dead Hypolycaena erylus teatus (Common Tit). Now thinking if there is anything I can do to keep the dead butt? Any chemical?

It is still quite intact except a little torned hindwing and left with one antenna. Still puzzled on how can it get into my room located at 12th floor? :hmmm: Brought by the wind?

Anybody?

Commander
25-Jul-2005, 06:24 PM
Found a twenty cents coin at the corner of my bed room. Take a closer look, it is a dead Hypolycaena erylus teatus (Common Tit). Now thinking if there is anything I can do to keep the dead butt? Any chemical?

It is still quite intact except a little torned hindwing and left with one antenna. Still puzzled on how can it get into my room located at 12th floor? :hmmm: Brought by the wind?

Anybody?
Well, if you wanna keep it as a souvenir... ;P

Are the wings folded back properly? Or wrong way around. As it is probably hardened, you should just keep it in a bottle with a few crushed crystals of napthalene (moth balls). That should prevent any mites from turning it into dust. Other than that, you don't need to do anything, other than the fact that you should ensure that it is kept in a dry place.

Common Mime
25-Jul-2005, 06:27 PM
Yes, it is harden and the wings are folded properly. Any idea if this fella die in my room?

Commander
25-Jul-2005, 06:31 PM
Yes, it is harden and the wings are folded properly. Any idea if this fella die in my room?Dunno. Probably blown by the wind into your room, then cannot get out. Died from exhaustion, most likely. Since it's already dead, and wings folded properly, you could glue it to a nice twig, put in a bottle, and presto, you got a nice butt display. Remember to replenish the naphthalene crystals though, if the bottle isn't air-tight.

adrian
25-Jul-2005, 09:16 PM

Anybody?

Wah!!! 1) First bring cat's back home 2) Watch them grow 3) You watch them transform then fly...4) now you want to preserve them :confused:
In no time your place can be the next museum for butts :bsmile:

Commander
25-Jul-2005, 09:19 PM
Wah!!! 1) First bring cat's back home 2) Watch them grow 3) You watch them transform then fly...4) now you want to preserve them :confused:
In no time your place can be the next museum for butts :bsmile:
It died in his house lah... not that he went thru' all the trouble to capture it or anything like that... else the BPals http://www.geocities.com/hexaglider/police.gif will catch him.

Jeff
25-Jul-2005, 09:31 PM
know all the moderators n butterfly lovers will kill me but when i was a toddler, my grandpa used to catch butts and iguana and made trophies out of them. To preserve the butts, he simply smoke them till dryness and mount them on wood. Not sure if he used any embalming liq (eg chloroform) to preserve. Sad to say don't keep those dried carcasses no more. Only memories left.

Well, i still preserve those free roaming ones around me :-)

dude83
25-Jul-2005, 11:31 PM
some experience to share, it might be worth to know or of some help...

i went to cameron last year and happen to visit the butt farm. Happen to saw a dead male rajah brookes, i took it and place it in a folded paper... the wings are still "bendable", i suppose it died not long ago... so then next day the moment i got home, i just place it in a flat pouch with cotton inside... so the wings gets to open up, with the butt "hardening" thus moulding to the ideal shape i want...

because insects have exoskeletons, they do not decompose as much as mammal or something that has raw flesh exposed...(am i right? experts, please correct if i'm not) so when they "dry up" then exoskeletons remains(including the wings, scales, abdomen, head etc) but however, u may place some silica gel which i use to keep dry to prevent initial mould from attacking while storage... this is what i did...

so far so gd, it's been a year the specimen is OK!

Common Mime
27-Jul-2005, 11:24 AM
Thanks all for the solutions.

Here's a snapshot of my specimen :-)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v121/sumball/Butterfly/Specimen/CommonTit.jpg

adrian
27-Jul-2005, 12:51 PM
Wah ma chiam showing autopsy photo...top view :what:

Commander
27-Jul-2005, 12:53 PM
But without the gory blood and guts spilling out... ;P

Elbowed Pierrot
27-Jul-2005, 01:34 PM
i only keep the wings :P

adrian
27-Jul-2005, 03:17 PM
i only keep the wings :P

Worst...keeping body parts :what:

Common Rose
27-Jul-2005, 04:21 PM
Still puzzled on how can it get into my room located at 12th floor? :hmmm: Brought by the wind?

Want to call in the CSI to investigate? :bsmile:

yanyewkay
27-Jul-2005, 08:10 PM
Wah ma chiam showing autopsy photo...top view :what:
side view lah...hhahha

adrian
27-Jul-2005, 09:56 PM
side view lah...hhahha

SmartAleck :hammer: :bsmile: