PDA

View Full Version : who is this?

Tze Siong
05-Jun-2005, 07:52 PM
Need help to id this fellow. Don't have C&P with me.

Taken at USR

Thanx

TS

Commander
05-Jun-2005, 08:03 PM
That would be N. leucoporos cresina. You were at USR tuday?

Tze Siong
05-Jun-2005, 09:14 PM
Nope,I am dead tired today from my last on-call. Taken few days ago.

Thanks for the ID

yanyewkay
10-Jun-2005, 11:34 AM
hey! i've seen quite a number of that at my place. but I din't manage to get a nice shot of it.

Commander
10-Jun-2005, 02:23 PM
hey! i've seen quite a number of that at my place. but I din't manage to get a nice shot of it.
Where's your place?

Common Mime
10-Jun-2005, 02:50 PM
Holland area I believe...

yanyewkay
10-Jun-2005, 03:51 PM
yah.. near holland area. i usually shoot along commonwealth ave west. one side of the road is densely vegetated (opposite singapore poly).

grass can go up to knee height. I've seen some big butts with those long tails like the swordtails but were flying too fast for me to run in the vegetation. Can't keep track. Mostly I've seen are Chocolate pansy, bush browns, Malayans (or lookalikes) and some other black/blue top brown bottom butts which I don't have a shot of so I can't id them..

I've also seen wild 'birds of paradise' growing in there.. looks kinda out of place since you find them so commonly in build up areas these days.

From my house, I can see the canopy of the 'forest' and doesn't seem to be touched in many years (since I've moved in like 20+ years ago). I believe it's not even been touched since the trees started to grow there :D

Commander
10-Jun-2005, 04:09 PM
That area is not too bad. You know of that mountain bike trail along that patch of 'forest' along Commonwealth Ave, right? I've also seen Common Birdwings flying around that area too. I used to stay a bit further up at Sussex Estate (now completely flat ground and doing nothing at the moment :angry: ) Also lots of butts then, especially the subsp. bolina of the Great Eggfly.

But coming to the point why I asked you 'where is your place'. It is unlikely that you saw what Tze Siong shot. The species Neptis leucoporos is predominantly a forest butt which is found around the nature reserves. What you probably saw is a lookalike, the Short Banded Sailor, which is a more urban butt and are likely to be seen in your area. Try to shoot one next time, and we'll be able to confirm that.

yanyewkay
10-Jun-2005, 04:34 PM
oh sorry.. haha i stay ghim moh but i din't see it there.. i saw it at the commonwealth area that i mentioned, near the mountain bike trail place.

It's within walking distance from my house so I call it 'my place'.. it might be the look alike though..

So whenever I mention 'my place' keke.. it can range from really my estate to the commonwealth west area. Big 'place' I have eh?

yanyewkay
12-Jun-2005, 09:31 AM
Here are the photos of the lookalike at commonwealth area. wasn't able to move into a better position to have a better angle. It looks really simliar.

Grass Demon
13-Jun-2005, 02:59 PM
Yours is clearly a Common Sailor (Neptis hylas papaja). There is easily more than a dozen similar looking butterflies. Explore more and soon you will be able to tell the difference. :cheers:

Commander
13-Jun-2005, 03:32 PM
Yup, I agree with Steven (Neo). Yew Kay's shot is the Common Sailor. Time for another MO of C&P4? :thinking:

yanyewkay
13-Jun-2005, 05:42 PM
yups.. I've id'ed the little fella as the Common Sailor last night.. was looking back and forth Khew's web page over the few spieces and the patterns of the upperside matched the Common Sailor then the others. :D