PDA

View Full Version : Butterfly Trapping @ Central Catchment Area

Birdwing
25-May-2005, 07:38 PM
Got this posting from a local bird-watching mailing list, this is the first time I have heard of such things. Seems like this was spotted at SF near the Tree Top Walk. So when you guys go for your butt shoots, maybe can watch out for such illegal activities. :thinking: BTW how does a butt trap look like? Anyone can post a pic? TIA.

Hi,

I was at Central Catchment on 23 May (Monday) & to my surprise, I’ve found some butterfly trappings (3 traps) somewhere near the path / trail directly below the tree top walk where it leads to the open Island Country Club. I believe that area is not as crowded or busy as the other trails that lead most joggers or trekkers to Bt Timah.

I hope all of us will keep a watchful eye on such traps if we were to venture into Central Catchment again time. The Nparks cannot be always station their men everywhere due to manpower constraints. We’ll help play our part for them.

Although I took out the traps from the hang-up, a few mens shouted at me from a far distance gesturing me to leave the traps alone (they looks like middle aged uncle) but I ignore. I’ve since confiscated 3 such traps & will be handling over to Nparks for their follow up actions.

I hope our butterfly species will remain intact so long as we all play our part for the good of nature in Singapore.

Thanks

Rgds,

Ben Lee

Elbowed Pierrot
25-May-2005, 08:15 PM
our Abisara!!!!!!!!!!

Commander
25-May-2005, 08:19 PM
Geez... this sounds bad. I thought that these trappers had gone extinct. I hope your friend makes this report to NParks so that they will post this in their internal correspondence to all their rangers and volunteer groups to watch out for these traps.

Peacock Royal
25-May-2005, 10:25 PM
Not jsut Abisara, Yellow Flash etc.

I think I have to carry Nparks number with me just in case I need to call them.

Cruiser
25-May-2005, 10:39 PM
Not jsut Abisara, Yellow Flash etc.

I think I have to carry Nparks number with me just in case I need to call them.

Know what's the tel #?

Sky Blue
25-May-2005, 10:54 PM
These ppl just make me :angry:

Rustic
25-May-2005, 11:00 PM
# What are NParks' address and contact numbers?

National Parks Board HQ
1 Cluny Road
Singapore 259569

Tel : 6471 7808
Helpline toll-free number : 1800-4717300
Fax : 6472 3033

Commander
25-May-2005, 11:06 PM
The numbers starting with 471 xxxx are located at NParks HQ at SBG. This is NParks' main public hotline for all sorts of feedback.

For poachers, it may be more effective to go directly to the enforcement rangers.

I'll put up one or two of the rangers' contact numbers or their base contact number later.

Birdwing
26-May-2005, 01:07 AM
Geez... this sounds bad. I thought that these trappers had gone extinct. I hope your friend makes this report to NParks so that they will post this in their internal correspondence to all their rangers and volunteer groups to watch out for these traps.I do not know him personally, but I believe he has done so already (he stated that he confiscated the traps and hand over to NParks.) He has also alerted NSS's Bird Group ML to watch out for such traps.

Green Baron
26-May-2005, 08:37 AM
If you see such traps, do not take things into your own hands as it could be legitimnate research traps. Instead, contact NParks ranger and let them do their work.

Commander
26-May-2005, 09:45 AM
I do not know him personally, but I believe he has done so already (he stated that he confiscated the traps and hand over to NParks.) He has also alerted NSS's Bird Group ML to watch out for such traps.Would also be interesting to know if he found any butterflies in the traps when he confiscated them, and what bait was used. Did someone mention that there were 3 such traps found?

Don't worry about the official traps. When I go trapping with NParks, all the devices (nets, traps, vertebrate cages, etc) are labelled and tagged. There is no way anyone can mistake them for poachers' traps. I don't think any of you here have ever gone on NParks' research trap outings except for Steven Neo and me.