PDA

View Full Version : Re-examination of my Arhopala atrax from northern Thailand

DaveChiangMai
29-Dec-2018, 03:03 PM
Following on from my two postings on the Arhopala species encountered at Omkoi, northern Thailand, and in light of the feedback, it was evident that I should take a second look at the supposed Arhopala atrax in my collection. The seven individuals (8 photos) below were all photographed in northern Thailand. I think several of these are wrong, and would be interested in the correct identifications.
With thanks.

Image 1. This from Chiang Dao, and it was the subject of an earlier posting on ButterflyCircle, and identified as A. atrax. I see the outer edge of the forewing band is lunulated, though the inside edge appears not so well lunulated.

Image 2. From Doi Inthanon. I think A. alax.

Image 3. From Mae Ping. Presumed to be A. alax.

Image 4. From Chiang Mai. Presumed to be A. alax, though the forewing band looks quite wide.

Image 5a. From Mae Ping. Not sure at all about this one. As no dark spot on FW cell upperside, cannot be atrax.
Image 5b. Same individual as 5a.

Image 6. From Mae Wa. Rather lunulated FW band. Should be A. atrax?

Image 7. From Thap Lan (near Khao Yai) southeast Thailand. Not sure.

Psyche
29-Dec-2018, 07:40 PM
If the individual is not worn you can tell by the presence of the green metallic scales.
A. atrax tornal metallic green scales present. A. alax green scales absent (perhaps a little).
Thus .
2, 3, 6, & 7 with green scales A. atrax.

1, & 4. without green scales A. alax.

5 is a bit tricky, but look at the marginal area at the tornus. It is fully green in A. atrax but brown in A. alax.
Since 5 has the tornal marginal area brown it is likely A. alax.
A bit more exposure of the upperside would have show whether there is a cellend dark spot.

TL Seow: Cheers.
PS. I have check the other post and this single feature (green scales) at the tornal margin , is very consistent.

DaveChiangMai
29-Dec-2018, 07:47 PM
Many thanks. That helps greatly.