PDA

View Full Version : butterfly habitat problem

pslane
21-May-2017, 10:51 PM
I bought one of those hamper/butterfly habitats that people use to contain their caterpillars because this year I can no longer raise them on my screened porch. I had 2 nice big swallowtail caterpillars and after going into their chrysalis they both turned dark and died.

Does anybody here use these habitats? I am wondering if there is some kind of chemical in the mesh that caused these deaths. Any thoughts? I would like to know about any experience you have had raising butterflies this way.

I am planning on washing the habitat and trying again when the occasion arises. In any event, I am going to wash the habitat thoroughly before trying again.

Thank you

atronox
22-May-2017, 03:34 AM
They probably were parasitised. Parasitoids are small enough to fly through the mesh.

Use plastic containers instead. Pass a thin screwdriver through a flame and use that to melt some holes through the lid of your container. There will be sufficient air since caterpillars don't need so much anyway. I find that that seems to reduce the chances of parasitoids getting at the pupae compared to mesh

pslane
22-May-2017, 09:39 AM
I wouldn't think there were parasites since they were kept in my sun room which is actually a part of my home. Should be a pretty safe place. I am thinking about contacting the manufacturer about it.
Thanks