View Full Version : Adopting the revised common names for butterfly spp. in Singapore

horace2264
25-Apr-2014, 11:48 PM
Now that Dr Kirton has revised the common names and commit to print in his newly launched book, the question is should we follow up with a revision to the names used in our checklist.
My next LH blog article in on Telicota besta, and I am wondering whether I should use the name in Khew's book (and our checklist), the Besta Palm Dart, or the one in the new book, the Chinese Palm Dart. :thinking:

What is your view?

Silverstreak
26-Apr-2014, 12:35 AM
Khew and me touched on this last evening over a few beers , in the main he is following " The Identification of Indian Butterflies " Evans 1927 which most of the books adopted their initial Common English names from .

There are a few that are different from Khew's book , perhaps we can slowly accept what Dr. Kirton proposed and not in a hurry . I suggest that in the meantime we use Khew's book's common name and slowly easing in with those new ones adopted by Dr. Kirton's book. Perhaps after an article rationalising why we are doing so.

Cheers!

horace2264
26-Apr-2014, 04:49 PM
OK, we will wait for Khew's article (rationalizing the name change) before starting to use any revised name.
I will stick to "Besta Palm Dart" for Telicota besta bina in the LH article next week.

Psyche
08-May-2014, 09:30 PM
Having gone thru Dr Kirton's book I feel it is unwise to adopt all the names in the book.
I can see that the names are culled from different regions by his staff & not all are appropriate given that ssp variations can be very great.
Many names are from Pisuth.

Two examples show this clearly.

White Tiger. Danaus melanippus. Only suitable in Borneo & the Philippines where it is black & white.

Northern Orange Lacewing Cethosia methypsea. The name come from the Australian C. penthesilia which taxon methypsea was included as a ssp. formerly.
It is more orangey than our C. methypsea.

Many names are inappropriate eg. Kallima - Oakleaf- no resemblance to oakleaf.

Chinese Palm Dart is also odd as the species' main distribution is SE Asia & Sundaland.
Chinese Banana Skipper would probably draws more laughs than respect.

Regarding the Sailor/Sailer debate, I am certainly more in favour of Sailor.
The Neptini group is named after military personnels eg. Lascar(soldier), Sailor, Sergeant, Commander, Colonel, & Commodore, Admital(Limenitis).
Sailor is probably because the black & white bands resembles the 'bib' that is on the back of the uniforms of sailors.
Moreover, a check including Britannica shows sailer means a sailing boat of some specific dimensions, not someone who sails.

These are just some of my thoughts.

TL Seow:cheers:

Commander
08-May-2014, 11:40 PM
Fully concur with your points, Seow. :thumbsup: That's why I will analyse the names that he's changed, and post my own views about what I would personally adopt (or not adopt) in some forthcoming blog articles.

Dr Kirton also used Evans' naming of Indian butterflies as a reference point. My preference is to use the earliest known book on Malayan butterflies and that is "Butterflies of the Malay Peninsula" by Corbet and Pendlebury 1st Edition (1934) as my guide. This is because we are talking about the butterflies of this region, and I would use a book that refers specifically to the butterflies of our own Southeast Asian region.

Commander
08-May-2014, 11:44 PM
In Dr Kirton's talk during the book launch, he gave his reasons for the change of names - some of which I do agree have a valid basis.

Commander
09-May-2014, 02:56 PM
If anyone is aware of the whereabouts of a good copy of the 1st edition of "Butterflies of the Malay Peninsula" - Kyle & Palmer 1934, please let me know. My copy is totally falling apart and I would like to keep a good copy of this book. Checks across EBay and the antique bookshops have so far turned up a blank. Some have 2nd Edition and 3rd Edition, but so far, the 1st Edition remains elusive, except for one site, which retails the book at 155.69 Sterling pounds! :what:. Amazingly, it was retailed at the "princely" cost of $4.50 back in 1934!

Commander
10-May-2014, 07:34 PM
I've just written a blog post on the name changes that I consider to fall under the category of being socially unacceptable or derogatory. It is something that I can accept Dr Kirton's arguments. I did a bit of research and some background analysis of Dr Kirton's changes. Do give me your feedback on the article.

Great Mormon
11-May-2014, 04:54 AM
I agree with the changes and have updated the checklist accordingly.

Commander
12-May-2014, 12:32 PM
I have compiled a list of changed names that affect the Singapore Butterfly checklist. There are a lot more in the book where Dr Kirton has made changes, but we should focus on those that affect Singapore first, before looking at the rest. However, having some insights on the name changes for the butterflies in Malaysia and Thailand will also help understand the rationale behind the name changes that affect the Singapore butterflies.

I will continue to analyse and rationalise the name changes and elaborate why I agree or disagree with the updates. After all, these common names are not within the stratosphere of academics or scientists alone, and this is where citizen enthusiasts like us would have as much a say as anyone else!

Knowing the silent community here, I don't expect to receive many comments or opinions. I thank Seow for launching the first salvo with his views, and I am very appreciative of that. For those who want to give your 2cents' worth, please feel free to give your comments and rationale here so that we can comprehensively compile our own response to these changes. If you have a "pet butterfly" name that you feel strongly about, that should not be changed, please give your opinions here as well.

So here goes the list. Some I agree with the changes, quite a lot I don't. But I'd like to hear everyone's views as well.

Changed names of Singapore butterflies :

Scientific name
Current Name
Changed Name

Graphium evemon eventus
Blue Jay
Lesser Jay

Ypthima horsfieldi humei
Malayan Five Ring
Horsfield’s Five Ring

Euploea phaenareta castelnaui
King Crow
Great Crow

Euploea eyndhovii gardineri
Striped Black Crow
Lesser Striped Black Crow

Danaus melanippus hegesippus
Black Veined Tiger
White Tiger

Idea stolli logani
Common Tree Nymph
Ashy White Tree Nymph

Pareronia valeria lutescens
Wanderer
Malayan Wanderer

Eurema simulatrix tecmessa
Forest Grass Yellow
Changeable Grass Yellow

Eurema andersonii andersonii
Anderson’s Grass Yellow
One Spot Grass Yellow

Cethosia hypsea hypsina
Malay Lacewing
Malayan Lacewing

Cethosia penthesilia methypsea
Plain Lacewing
Northern Orange Lacewing

Vindula dejone erotella
Cruiser
Lesser Cruiser

Cirrochroa emalea emalea
Malay Yeoman
Malayan Yeoman

Neptis hylas papaja
Common Sailor
Common Sailer

Neptis leucoporos cresina
Grey Sailor
Burmese Sailer

Neptis harita harita
Chocolate Sailor
Chocolate Sailer

Euthalia monina monina
Malay Baron
Malayan Baron

Tanaecia pelea pelea
Malay Viscount
Malayan Viscount

Lexias dirtea merguia
Black Tipped Archduke
Dark Archduke

Eulaceura osteria kumana
Purple Duke
Elegant Emperor

Chersonesia peraka peraka
Little Maplet
Rounded Maplet

Junonia hedonia ida
Chocolate Pansy
Spotted Chocolate Soldier

Abisara saturata kausambioides
Malay Plum Judy
Malayan Plum Judy

Abisara savitri savitri
Malay Tailed Judy
Malayan Tailed Judy

Curetis saronis sumatrana
Sumatran Sunbeam
Burmese Sunbeam

Neopithecops zalmora zalmora
Quaker
Inornate Blue

Megisba malaya sikkima
Malayan
Malayan Pied Blue

Zizula hylax pygmea
Pygmy Grass Blue
Tiny Grass Blue

Chilades pandava pandava
Cycad Blue
Plains Cupid

Jamides celeno aelianus
Common Caerulean
Common Cerulean

Surendra vivarna amisena
Acacia Blue
Burmese Acacia Blue

Iraota rochana boswelliana
Scarce Silverstreak
Scarce Silverstreak Blue

Catapaecilma major emas
Gray Tinsel
Greater Tinsel

Horaga syrinx maenala
Ambon Onyx
Yellow Onyx

Burara harisa consobrina
Orange Awlet
Orange Striped Awlet

Odina hieroglyphica ortina
Hieroglyphic Flat
Polygon Flat

Tagiades ultra
Ultra Snow Flat
Burmese Snow Flat

Iambrix stellifer
Starry Bob
Malayan Chestnut Bob

Notocrypta paralysos varians
Banded Demon
Common Banded Demon

Suastus gremius gremius
Palm Bob
Indian Palm Bob

Quedara monteithii monteithii
-
Dubious Flitter

Plastingia naga
Chequered Lancer
Silver Spotted Lancer

Plastingia pellonia
Yellow Chequered Lancer
Saffron Spotted Lancer

Pyroneura latoia latoia
Yellow Veined Lancer
Malayan Yellow Veined Lancer

Erionota torus
-
Chinese Banana Skipper

Erionota hiraca apicalis
White Tipped Skipper
Moore’s Palm Redeye

Taractrocera ardonia lamia
Spotted Grass Dart
Malayan Grass Dart

Oriens paragola
Malay Dartlet
Malayan Dartlet

Potanthus trachala tytleri
Large Dart
Broad Bident Dart

Telicota besta bina
Besta Palm Dart
Chinese Palm Dart

Telicota augias augias
Palm Dart
Bright Orange Palm Dart

Borbo cinnara
Formosan Swift
Rice Swift

Commander
12-May-2014, 12:39 PM
I wish to add that there is no right or wrong here. We are dealing with amateur science and naming convention that taxonomists and scientists would prefer to avoid, if they can help it. (Our good friend on Koh Samui is one of them! :))

So please offer your viewpoints freely. We will compile all perspectives and then collate into one consolidated conclusion that is relevant to us at this point in time.

After all, the "Laksa" that we eat here in Singapore is quite different from the "Laksa" that you will get in Penang. But they are called Laksa all the same! :bsmile:

Great Mormon
12-May-2014, 03:11 PM
I'm pretty much neutral with the changes to the common names. Since its just a common name, I suppose we can start by giving more than one common name to a specific butterfly. An example would be Chilades pandava pandava
(Cycad Blue, Plains Cupid). Im pretty sure there are people who uses the name Plain Cupid somewhere out there. But since we (butterflycircle members) are used to the name Cycad Blue. This would also help with the transition of the changes in the common name as we can slowly phase out the older common names in the future. Name changes such as White Tipped Skipper to Moore’s Palm Redeyeseems like quite a major change in the common name nomenclature and can sound quite confusing. I'd think that maybe a new species altogether!

But as for names of the butterflies that are down right derogatory and racist. We ought to change them ASAP.

Psyche
12-May-2014, 08:36 PM
Here is my 2cents' worth.

White Tiger is inappropriate. Black-veined Tiger coined by R. Morrell is far more correct.

Northern Orange Lacewing is a no-no. as the Australian name referred to its location in the Northern Territory.
Our species is now Cethosia methypsea methypsea range Sundaland.
Its present name as Plain Lacewing leads to misinterpretation that it is called plain but is actually beautiful.
Perhaps an alternative name is Sunda Lacewing.

I am all for sailor vs. sailer as explained in my previous post.

Chocolate Pansy is a lot better than Spotted Chocolate Soldier. It is shorter.

Scarce Silverstreak Blue. The 'Blue' is redundant since name like hairstreak, silverstreak are Lycaenids.

Orange Awlet is better than Orange-striped Awlet ,& an older established name.

Starry Bob is appropriate. Its specific name stellifer , stella+ fer means star-bearing or starry ie. the white dots against a dark ground.

Dubious Flitter is too vague.

Chinese Banana Skipper . A more innocuous name might be Rounded Banana Skipper . its wings are more rounded, much more so in the female.

Chequered Lancer is actually an apt name.

Broad Bident Dart for P. trachala . I can't see how that comes about.( Addendum:Those lunulate spots vaguely resemble bidents-pitchfork-like weapons.)

Whitetip Palm Redeye would be less of a drastic change from Moore's Palm Redeye.

Painted Jezebel
12-May-2014, 09:38 PM
Our good friend on Koh Samui is one of them! :)

Your good friend from Koh Samui will remain silent on this topic!

Commander
08-Sep-2014, 10:00 AM
Seow and anyone else who has an interest in the oingoing English common names debate, I wrote a blog article covering a few species and their common names that have been revised by Dr Kirton. Do let me know your views, if any. I hope I made sense in my arguments. ;P

http://butterflycircle.blogspot.sg/2014/09/revision-to-common-names-of-butterflies.html

Commander
08-Sep-2014, 02:38 PM
I also wish to add that if any of you disagree with my views, please state so, with your own alternative views. Note that I had used the word "Recommendation" rather than a definitive decision, so that we can still discuss until the next hardcopy book is published with ButterflyCircle's own list of names.

Psyche
08-Sep-2014, 09:02 PM
Khew, as long as the name is not ridiculous it is acceptable.
It is often impossible to find a name suitable for all regions.

For example Blue Spotted Crow for Euploea midamus.
In India where this species is strongly blue-shot on the forewing it is appropriate.
Here there is hardly any or in Singapore no blue sheen.
(Worse on some websites the name is hyphenated as Blue-spotted Crow , meaning a dark Crow with blue spots.)

I like Morrell's name of Tailed Green Jay for G. agammemnon since there is another green jay, the tailless G. arycles.
The rest of the jays here are blue.
However the old names are already well-established.

Morrell's Common Tree-Nypmh is used in a localised context to mean the most frequently encountered of the four.
None of the Tree-Nymphs are common.
As I. stolli is a truly Sundanian species, it could be called Sunda Tree-Nymph, but that would sent most people scratching their heads.
And so it is Common Tree-Nymph.
Mention Tree-Nymph & Wood-Nymph in Africa & they refer to entirely different butterflies.

Commander
09-Sep-2014, 02:22 PM
Thanks, Seow. Good discussion. Your earlier points in this thread are also valid, and I'll be using some of that as background for subsequent blog articles. As we move into Lycaenids and Hesperiids, somehow we don't quite agree with Dr Kirton's changes. So the departure from the common names in his book is wider in those two families. :)

Grass Demon
10-Sep-2014, 11:48 AM
Just expressing some sentiments - when I started collection in the 1960s, I only had Morrell's book to refer to. As such, I somehow feel the same with Dr Seow on names like Black-veined Tiger, Common Tree-Nymph and Tailed Green Jay.

Rustic
10-Sep-2014, 03:56 PM
Khew's recommendations look reasonable.

Common names are meant more for local consumption.
Just like when we visit Malaysia, many dishes (like laska) carry different local names. :P
we dont unify the names, right? :)

The confusions from the proposed revision are useful and timely reminders that we have to talk the "common" language ie, scientific name.

For considerations, please.

Commander
10-Sep-2014, 04:16 PM
Just expressing some sentiments - when I started collection in the 1960s, I only had Morrell's book to refer to. As such, I somehow feel the same with Dr Seow on names like Black-veined Tiger, Common Tree-Nymph and Tailed Green Jay.

Black Veined Tiger and Common Tree Nymph already settled in my blog article.

As for Tailed Jay, the other species mentioned is Graphium arycles, which has been given the common name Spotted Jay. So the jury is still out on those two. My priority of reference materials go back to C&P1 1934. In particular, I will stay on my track for Sailors rather than Sailers, although there are two viewpoints and both can be valid. But if Corbet and Pendlebury used the name Sailors referring to the naval militarymen back in 1934 (or earlier, cos they would have been writing the book prior to its actual launch in 1934), it is a basis for me to take the name as such, irrespective of what Evans coined in India a few years prior to C&P1.

Thanks for speaking up - Steven & CP.