PDA

View Full Version : Marked Jamides Spotted

Onyx
15-Feb-2014, 12:49 PM
Just came to Singapore for a biz trip and spent a weekend butterflying. Surprisingly, I found a marked Jamides in Hindhede Nature Park. It isn't uncommon to see marked crows because researchers in Far East Asia are studying their migration habit. However, this is the very first time I saw marked Lycaeninae in the wild.

Great Mormon
15-Feb-2014, 04:50 PM
Thats interesting, this is also my first time seeing a photo of a marked butterfly.

atronox
19-Feb-2014, 11:27 PM
This seems to be some sort of a very adventurous population study on Jamides and, if so, probably the first of such conducted on a tropical lycaenid(as far as I'm aware of).

What's interesting is that this researcher must've been very confident that he would observe this tiny lycaenid again after tagging it and letting it go, especially since lycaenids are known to spend most of their ephemeral lives in the canopy.
Either that or he has found a sweet spot where they seem to be more abundant/congregate(?) such that he has no problem tracking his tagged specimens in future.

And how did he mark the delicate wings without causing significant damage? Did he sedate it?

Also, I suspect that the specimen was tagged very recently judging from how the marked scales are still rather intact.

I'm just so intrigued and amazed at the same time. o.0

Grass Demon
20-Feb-2014, 12:41 PM
I am just making a guess on the number 302, could it be 3rd Feb? When was the picture taken?