View Full Version : Misfiled Skipper from Taman Negara

Painted Jezebel
11-Oct-2013, 10:17 AM
I am currently reorganising all my non-butterfly photos, and I came across this photo in my Tesseratomidae file!!!!

It was taken at Taman Negara, and I am not positive of its id. Help please. It seems to show similarities to Salanoemia fuscicornis or possibly an Isma sp., but that is just a guess!

Psyche
11-Oct-2013, 11:46 AM
It should be the female of Isma miosticta.

It does looks like Salanoemia fuscicornis but antennal club is broadly pale on the inside & underside FW space 1b is not pale & upperside basal area not tawny.

The subapical white spots contrasting with the yellow main spots is also seen in some Isma including miosticta.
There is a diffuse spot in space 1b.
The female have the spots larger & quadrate & so looks quite different from the male.

TL Seow:cheers:

Painted Jezebel
11-Oct-2013, 04:33 PM
Thank you. I can see that Salanoemia is out of the running.

However, reading C&P4, the Key for female Isma species, #17, it states for I. miosicta that the forewing spot in space 2 is NOT wider than high. My photo seems to show that it is wider.

I hope it is miosticta, it would be a new one for me! :)

Psyche
11-Oct-2013, 09:03 PM
There is a bit of perspective distortion altering the shape of spot 2.

The key reached a point , line 13/16 where it is not possible to tell if the abdomen is banded below.
It is then necessary to consider all species below line 13, namely umbrosa, bononia, miosticta, damocles & guttulilera.

I. bononia, damocles & guttulifera all have whitish main spots.
I. bononia(female) only have an upper cellspot & the other 2 have prominent elongate cell spots.

The female umbrosa is very closely similar.

However, all these species have one thing in common ie. upperside FW spot 1b is well-defined & clear.
Only in I. miosticta is spot 1b diffuse & poorly-defined in both sexes.
This is also clearly shown in Fleming's book.

Painted Jezebel
11-Oct-2013, 09:54 PM
Thank you, again. When you give me an ID, I will always look at the C&P4 keys, purely so I can learn from how you work out the species, NOT that I do not agree. For me, learning is so very important, and your explainations are superb, I just need to see them for myself.

Psyche
11-Oct-2013, 10:33 PM
Always right to query if confirmation is needed for a new species.
I knew my first reply indicates an element of doubt.

I thought you already have I. miosticta.