View Full Version : ID request on Junonia

Silverstreak
11-Sep-2013, 02:47 AM
Request for ID , the shot was from India , is this a Junonia hedonia or a Junonia iphita ?

Painted Jezebel
11-Sep-2013, 08:45 AM
Has to be Junonia iphita, though which ssp. I can not say as there are at least 3 (I think) found in different parts of India. J. hedonia is not found in India.

Commander
11-Sep-2013, 01:20 PM
The orange-crowned ocelli are interesting though. Only hedonia has those. But the forewing patterns are that of iphita. Though I must add that Les is probably on the right track, cos hedonia is not found north of Johor yet, and I wonder what is stopping an essentially very common species from moving up north? :thinking:

Silverstreak
11-Sep-2013, 01:29 PM
Thanks Les for the input , Peter Smetacek thought the hindwing orange ocelli looks strange and different from J. Iphiti and ask for assistance , as they do no have J. hedonia and does not have the keys to differentiate the two.

I have gone through the keys in C&P 4 and am none the wiser. :)

Psyche
11-Sep-2013, 08:49 PM
It is J. iphita alright.

Continental races of J. iphita have the postdiscal bands broad ; on the forewing the inner margin in space 2 & 3 protrude inwards , strongly so in this individual.
There is also the colour, dark chocolate brown vs reddish-brown. (Postdiscal band relatively narrow & of even width in J. hedonia. )

Another Indian example with orange ocelli.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junonia_iphita

J. hedonia is common (commonest Junonia) in the Klang valley for over a decade.

Correction . Actually J. almana & orithya are the commonest in urban areas. J. hedonia is seen in forested wasteland with abundant Asystasia.
TL Seow:cheers: