PDA

View Full Version : Butterfly ID. at Casuarina stand

Faryd11
10-Jun-2013, 01:31 AM
when i was walk around Casuarina equisetifolia stand at Mirit beach, Kebumen, Indonesia. i found some butterfly perch on twigs of trees. so i try to capture the picture with my phone after i pick it . *sorry for poor quality imags (i release it after taking the picture)
http://i44.tinypic.com/3535gdk.jpg

sorry for my bad english or my curiosity.

Blue Jay
11-Jun-2013, 01:05 AM
Hi Faryd, #4 is Tawny Coster and #1 is probably the male Striped Albatross. Sorry I can't help you with #2 and #3, which I will leave to the experts. When shooting, please try not to pick the butterflies, as you may hurt them if you did not pick them up properly/the right way. Cheers. :cheers:

Psyche
11-Jun-2013, 10:19 AM
1 is Appias libythea.
4. is Acraea violae.

1 & 4 as Id'ed by Brian.

2 is Ideopsis juventah.

3 is an Euploea sp. & is very difficult without reference as Euploea species have very marked regional differences.

You can googled Butterflies of West Java & download the pdf for reference.
I am unable to do so because of connectivity problems.

TL Seow:cheers:

Faryd11
11-Jun-2013, 11:24 AM
@Blue jay: thanks for the advice. i not mean to hurt them anyway >.<
can u tell me how to pick the butterfly properly? :cheers:

@Psyche: thanks sir for helping ID, the pdf just arrived to my hardisk :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Painted Jezebel
11-Jun-2013, 12:44 PM
Seow, you beat me to it, again, including the comment on the Euploea sp.!!!!

Another website you may wish to look at is Tentang Semarang Lepidoptera, to be found here (http://haliaster.web.id/slw/en/). I think that Semarang is reasonably close enough to you to be of help, though I do not think they have a full list yet.

Regarding picking up a specimen, it is not recommended. Try to get photos naturally.

Faryd11
11-Jun-2013, 02:12 PM
Painted Jezebel : aw great i even dont know that web is exist before :what: . at least the website is really helping now :cheers:

anyway i have plan to do research about butterfly differsity there. want to find out the butterfly diversity in casuarina stand. *really curious about this beautiful creature :grin2:
thanks for helping guys..

about the picking up specimen i wont do it again. ehe
how about some people that catching and kill butterfly and then collecting it? is that legal?