PDA

View Full Version : Koh Taen Island, Samui

Painted Jezebel
22-May-2013, 02:52 PM
I recently was invited to stay 3 days on Koh Taen Island, which is provately owned and only 3Km. off the main island. The purpose was to undertake a butterfly survey, as the Island is going to be promoted as an Eco-Tourist destination (day-trips only unless invited).

The Island is known locally as 'No Dog Island' owing, according to local legend, to the huge bat roost there (largest in the Gulf of Thailand), and dogs can not stand the high pitched noises made by the bats and die within 2 days. Whilst I do not know if that is the reason, there are no dogs on the island.

During my time there I found 94 species. The Island has a very strange lot! I only found a single specimen of Mycalesis, and the same goes for Potanthus, and not a single Tagiades! However, within 1/2 hour, I had found all 8 species of Euploea found on Samui, and in huge numbers. These included two species I had only found once each on Samui. I also found 3 species I had not seen for at least 3 years, Graphium aristeus, Graphium macareus and Celaenorrhinus asmara.

I also found a new species for my archipelago, No. 350, which I had only ever seen once before in Khao Sok, Drupadia scaeva scaeva (Blue Posy):redbounce.

1) Graphium aristeus hermocrates (Chain or Stripe Swordtail)
2) Euploea klugii erichsonii (Brown King Crow)
3) Euploea eunice leucogonis (Blue-branded King Crow)
4) Drupadia scaeva scaeva (Blue Posy)

There are two species I need help with.
5) A female Nacaduba sp.
6) A Rapala species I am not certain about. The horrible upperside is attached in the hope it helps!

Angiud
22-May-2013, 03:58 PM
Wow, profitable trip!
Congratulation for the several interesting species and a important +1

Great shot of the Graphium!

Psyche
22-May-2013, 08:21 PM
They are :

Nacaduba pavana.

Rapala dieneces.
Typical underside colour & markings; upperside HW red narrows upwards towards the apex.

TL Seow:cheers:

Painted Jezebel
22-May-2013, 09:25 PM
Thank you, Seow. You have confirmed what I wrote down in my notebook, but was not sufficiently sure.

Painted Jezebel
25-May-2013, 01:35 PM
Great shot of the Graphium!

Thanks, Antonio. Has to be an accident, I do not normally get such nice photos!:grin2: I wonder what I did right?:hmmm:

bluefin
25-May-2013, 10:21 PM
Hahahaa, I agree.
A great shot of the Graphium. :cheers: