PDA

View Full Version : Day trips to the Thai Mainland

Painted Jezebel
20-Mar-2013, 10:36 AM
Every so often I have the need to get off Samui (Islanditis). This happened yesterday, after spending days on the KK photos, and struggling with species/subspecies names.

I now have a new map of Suratthani Province and nearby areas, and I found a National Park I was not aware of. It is called Nam Tok (Waterfall) Si Kiet National Park, in Nakhon Si Thammarat Province. It is only 60KM from the ferry, so is easily reachable for a day trip.

This was an observation trip, and naturally I made several mistakes: 1)I started off too late and 2) It is still school holiday season.

Accordingly, the park was full of children. It is a small park and there are only a couple of short trails so one can not get away from the presence of these boisterous, but very friendly, Thais. However, the woodland looks very inviting and should prove worthwhile. There were puddling areas, but they were completely devoid of butts:thumbsdow!

I did see a couple of interesting species, including the Blue Begum (no shot, too skittish), which means it is even closer to me than I realised, by about 100KM. Also found closer than before was this Arhopala anthelus (Magnificent Oakblue) which was kind enough to provide me with an upperside shot. This specimen appears slightly paler than those I shot at Khao Sok, and I am wondering whether it may be ssp. anthea, as opposed to ssp. grahami. Si Kiet is in a different mountain/hill range than the other location I had found the species.

I also attach a second Arhopala, which I suspect may be my usual A. atosia!

Psyche
20-Mar-2013, 04:32 PM
HW spot 7 directly on top of spot 6, & potdiscal band partially dislocated at vein 2.
A few key features are hidden, but otherwise this matched A. vihara well.

TL Seow:cheers:

Painted Jezebel
20-Mar-2013, 05:41 PM
Thank you. Of course! I appear to have a mental block when it comes to atosia, lurida and vihara. I don't know why, as A. vihara is easy to id away from the other two!

Psyche
24-Mar-2013, 12:54 AM
You are right about the ssp of A. anthelus being anthea.

Ssp. grahami has strongly contrasted spots outlined in white eg HW, including the double-lobed cellend spot.
This example from Khao Sok by Antonio is identical to Malayan grahami C&P4 plate 39/4.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7053/7031034257_0640447e98_z.jpg

Ssp anthea have poorly contrasted spots eg. HW cellend & postdiscal spots not outlined in white.( from Cambodia)
http://pisum.bionet.nsc.ru/kosterin/exotic/theclinae/arhopala_anthelus_anthea3.jpg

TL Seow:cheers:

Painted Jezebel
24-Mar-2013, 08:28 AM
Thanks for the confirmation. I actually have several photos of the same specimen as Antonio, myself, and I used those as comparison with this one. This led to my thinking that it was the other ssp.