PDA

View Full Version : Sungei Tua Forest Reserve-Aug. 2012

Painted Jezebel
15-Aug-2012, 11:25 AM
On our trip back to KL, LC, Dennis and I stopped for the afternoon at Sungei Tua Forest Reserve.

Some interesting species (to me) are to be found there. PART 1

1) Ramelana jangala travana (Chocolate Royal) - LC states he had not seen this species here, so confirmation would be welcome.
2) Dacalana sinhara sinhara?
3) Dacalana vidura azyda?
I may have these two wrong but the width of the white stripes and the size of the hindwing tornal spots suggest, to me, that they are different species.
4) Lethe mekara gopaka. I had photographed this species before, but this one was the most cooperative model I have found.

Psyche
15-Aug-2012, 05:10 PM
1. Ramelana jangala travana is correct.

2 & 3. Both are Dacalana vidura azyda.
To be D. sinhara the orange patch should obliterate the black striae above it in space 2 and space 1b. In both cases here the black stria above the orange in space 1b is intact.

TL Seow:cheers:

Painted Jezebel
15-Aug-2012, 05:19 PM
Thank you. I must admit I had looked at space 1b, and decided that there was a (very) small section in the upper part of 1b where the black stria was partially interrupted. In space 2, the stria is obliterated by the patch, which matches what is said in C&P4, hence my suggestion that it may have been D. sinhara.

Painted Jezebel
16-Aug-2012, 01:58 PM
Part 2

5) Another Allotinus specimen. Looks like A. unicolor again, but sizewise, it was no larger than a Neopithecops zalmora. Do A. unicolor get that small?
6) Phrissura cynis cynis (Forest White)

Now, what trip would be complete without an Arhopala or two?:)

7) I keep coming back to Arhopala aedias agnis, but the hindwing spots in spaces 6 & 7 are markedly darker than the rest, and the black marginal spot in space 2 is much larger than I normally would expect.
8) Arhopala major? Central spot in space 7 is very small, but that is probably just a minor aberration.

We also saw an Elymnias penanga penanga female f. pemanga, but it was not cooperative at all and I had to delete all the photos!

Finally, I would like to confirm that I got my customary leech bite here. I always come back with this type of souvenir, and I have not lost my attraction for these 'lovely' creatures!

Psyche
16-Aug-2012, 02:56 PM
5. A. unicolor is very variable in size.

7. The darker spots 6 & 7 match Pl 64/4.

8. Without a tornal white dot, it is either amphimuta or major.
The intermittent blue costa indicates A. major. In amphimuta most of the costa is solid blue.

TL Seow:cheers: