PDA

View Full Version : Deremas nolens pasteuri!

Painted Jezebel
31-Jul-2012, 03:54 PM
The only thing of note that I came across today was exceptional.

I went to the area where I had seen my only Deramas livens evansi before in May 2009, not very hopeful as it had been nearly completely destroyed by the March 2011 floods on Samui. I came across this one and, as I already had good shots of that species I was not too concerned that it stayed high up and did not allow a good shot.

However, I now know that this one was a female Deramas nolens pasteuri (Orange-Crowned BlueJohn), the upperside was entirely dark bown, no blue whatsoever, a +1 for me, and another very rare species, montane in Malaysia, but, as usual, not on Samui! Sorry photo is so bad.

Incidentally, I seem to recall someone asking about the name 'Bluejohn' for the Genus. This is a semi-precious stone found in the Peak District of England (Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire and S. Yorkshire). I used to have a small rock containing this gem from when I camped there in my scouting days.

Silverstreak
31-Jul-2012, 07:18 PM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:cheers:

Commander
31-Jul-2012, 07:43 PM
Congrats, Les.

I thought the genus name was spelt as Deramas?

Banded Yeoman
31-Jul-2012, 09:40 PM
Wow, Congrats on finding this beautiful butterfly!:cheers:

Peacock Royal
31-Jul-2012, 09:46 PM
:thumbsup: Congrats Les.

bluefin
31-Jul-2012, 10:52 PM
Congrats Les on the rare find. :cheers:

Psyche
31-Jul-2012, 11:12 PM
Incidentally, I seem to recall someone asking about the name 'Bluejohn' for the Genus. This is a semi-precious stone found in the Peak District of England (Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire and S. Yorkshire). I used to have a small rock containing this gem from when I camped there in my scouting days.

I did ask . I didn't know bluejohn is a gemstone.
It sound similar to the attire that cowboys sport going to the loohouse, the longjohn.:bsmile:

Congrats on the new find.

TL Seow:cheers:

The Plane
31-Jul-2012, 11:27 PM
Congratz to you Les :cheers:

Painted Jezebel
31-Jul-2012, 11:40 PM
Congrats, Les.

I thought the genus name was spelt as Deramas?

Thank you all. Yes, SK, you are right and I have been calling it wrong for the last 3 years!:embrass: It is right on the Lycaenidae page, but wrong on the individual species page. Oh dear!

Angiud
31-Jul-2012, 11:58 PM
Wow! Congratulations for the catch!
I should think less about business and get out more!

:cheers:

WillFolsom
01-Aug-2012, 07:25 AM
Les: Always great fun to find something new! Congratulations. William

Painted Jezebel
04-Aug-2012, 03:14 PM
An update on a private discussion that has been going on regarding this female specimen. The underside is not a dirty buff, which it should be for D. nolens, but does match that for D. nelvis, of which the female has never been described and also a species which has never positively been identified from Thailand. If correct, this would mean that the pic in C&P4 is not correct (only a suggestion in the book).

Certainty can only be provided by detailed examination of the specimen and comparison with known females of D. nolens. I will need to work on the mechanics of getting this done. Do not hold your collective breaths, it will take a long time!