PDA

View Full Version : Do I have I. stellifer here?

Painted Jezebel
15-Jul-2012, 01:27 PM
I am attaching two photos of specimens I currently have in my Iambix salsala file.

However, the spot locations on the hindwing appear different. I know that just to rely on spots is dangerous, but could one of these be Iambix stellifer, which I have not recorded here before, but which I know does live on the peninsular.

Not good photos, but, hopefully, sufficient for my needs.

Psyche
15-Jul-2012, 03:41 PM
What a surprise! You do have 2 species here.

1, I salsala. The big spot on the hindwing which is in space 5 lies just outside the cell end.

2 I. stellifer.
The 1st spot is in the cell, and the spot in space 5 which is faint is midway between the termen & the cellend.
Note the difference in the apical areas of the forewings.

TL Seow:cheers:

Painted Jezebel
15-Jul-2012, 06:03 PM
Thank you VERY much!:gbounce: I must admit that it was the second one I suspected, though I did not want to say so, in case I led you in that direction.

I only have a couple of photos of this, both of the same specimen, so it appears much less common than I. salsala here, as elsewhere. I will need to pay more attention to these species in the future.

Ah well! More to do on the website!:)

Painted Jezebel
16-Jul-2012, 09:26 AM
Champagne back on ice!!!! I have just checked as to where, on Samui, I photographed it, so I could go back and look for it again, and discovered that I was actually at FRIM, KL, on that day.:cry:

Still only I. salsala on Samui.:thumbsdow

Commander
16-Jul-2012, 09:50 AM
Haha... so you "imported" it back to Samui on your CF card!

Luckily for us these days, we have the EXIF to check. Imagine those days of yore when people had rolls of undeveloped film and could have mixed up their shots and labeled them from the wrong locations!

Painted Jezebel
16-Jul-2012, 09:58 AM
Haha... so you "imported" it back to Samui on your CF card!

Luckily for us these days, we have the EXIF to check. Imagine those days of yore when people had rolls of undeveloped film and could have mixed up their shots and labeled them from the wrong locations!

'fraid so! Fortunately, all of my original photos, pre PS'ing, are held on a remote hard disc, and those days when I was off the island are labelled as such! I could have had more than just egg on my face!:embrass: