View Full Version : Which Rapala female?

Painted Jezebel
01-Jun-2012, 05:40 PM
I photographed this damaged specimen yesterday. I does not look like it is any of the 5 Rapala species I have so far found here, but I may just be hoping, again!

A small specimen, wingspan c.27mm. with partly steely blue on the forewings. (R. manea?)

Psyche
01-Jun-2012, 11:42 PM
Yes, it is Rapala manea.

Rapala manea & scintilla are rather similar.
Both have the orange ocellus defined by a dark line.

The underside of R. manea is pale brown with a light purple wash.
The grey-green patch in space 1b(torn) more or less reach the postdiscal band.

The underside of R. scintilla is brownish grey.
The grey green patch in space 1b usually do not reached the postdiscal band.

TL Seow:cheers:

Painted Jezebel
02-Jun-2012, 08:16 AM
Yipee! a +1:gbounce: Thank you for the confirmation. This is a species I had expected to find here, but, for some reason, never had.

Psyche
02-Jun-2012, 02:07 PM
Yipee! a +1:gbounce: Thank you for the confirmation. This is a species I had expected to find here, but, for some reason, never had.

Good for you ! :cheers:

You may want to be on the look out for a third species in which the orange ocellus is dark-margined. Rapala damona is not considered rare.
The underside is ochreous-brown & the postdiscal band above the greyish patch is arched more or less centrally as in R. dieneces.

Painted Jezebel
02-Jun-2012, 03:21 PM
Good for you ! :cheers:

You may want to be on the look out for a third species in which the orange ocellus is dark-margined. Rapala damona is not considered rare.
The underside is ochreous-brown & the postdiscal band above the greyish patch is arched more or less centrally as in R. dieneces.

It would certainly be interesting if I found it. The published records of the species from peninsular Thailand, that I have found, appear very few, that is..none! Probably this is down to misidentification, so I will keep an eye out for it.