View Full Version : See who is in town...

Bluebottle
12-May-2012, 06:56 PM
Appias lyncida vasava (Chocolate Albatross)
Sighted at CCK area.

Peacock Royal
12-May-2012, 07:24 PM
Good sighting !
I have not seen it this year. Last year, I shot it in late April (see here (http://peacockroyal.blogspot.com/2011/05/from-mnt-to-ranger-station-on-good.html))

Commander
12-May-2012, 08:51 PM
Good one, Loke. This confirms the theory that with the butterfly season up north, we get a few sightings of these migratory species in Singapore, like the Plain Puffin you shot last week. :cheers:

Psyche
13-May-2012, 12:55 AM
Singapore seems to have lost most of her showpiece Pierid species, those large striking ones which add colour to gatherings at sepages & wetspots.
Just 2 shrub/small trees, Capparis micracantha & Crateva religiosa, suitable for parks would help to restore their residencies.
They are host for Appias lyncida & nero, Cepora iudith, Hebomoia glaucippe, & probably for Pareronia as well.

TL Seow:cheers:

Commander
13-May-2012, 01:00 AM
Thanks, Seow. Looking for these two plants in big numbers is still a challenge for our government Parks people. No one seems to have any confirmation of these plants, which appear to be more like forest "weeds" that no nurseries around cultivate. When we find the plants, we will certainly ask the Parks people to propagate and spread them around.

Psyche
13-May-2012, 07:46 PM
Both plants are use in cultivation.
According to this website, Capparis micracantha would appeared to be utilised by the Singapore park board. If this is so, then the said Pierids should be able to establish themselves, as this is the allrounder hostplant.
http://www.natureloveyou.sg/Capparis%20micracantha/Main.html

teotp
16-May-2012, 02:17 PM
Singapore seems to have lost most of her showpiece Pierid species, those large striking ones which add colour to gatherings at sepages & wetspots.

Not only pierid butterflies but also others. I remember when SK published his book (Field guide to the butterflies of Singapore) in 2010. Dato' H. S. Barlow asked me to find out how many species have lost during the past 50 years in Singapore (reference with C&Ps 2 - 4). Great impacts from urban development on Singapore butterflies!

Teo T P

teotp
16-May-2012, 02:52 PM
Both plants are use in cultivation.
According to this website, Capparis micracantha would appeared to be utilised by the Singapore park board. If this is so, then the said Pierids should be able to establish themselves, as this is the allrounder hostplant.
http://www.natureloveyou.sg/Capparis%20micracantha/Main.html

Cultivation of host plants may solve the co-extinction problem. It doesn't mean that some species will colonise here. Ecological factors like behaviour of competative species, predators (including parasitoids) and thier populations, weather changes, larval and adult food sources, human activities, conspecific species behaviour...etc, all contribute to their establisment.

Just like recently I came across two interesting articles:

1. "Applying IUCN criteria to invertebrates: How red is the red list of European butterflies?" - by Chris van Swaay, et al (In: Biological Conservation vol. 114: 470-478, 2011).

2. "Evaluating the effectiveness of protected areas for conserving tropical forest butterflies of Thailand" - by S. Klorvuttimontara, et al (In: Biological Conservation vol. 144: 2534-2540, 2011.).

Both papers indicated their view points with comments.

Teo T P