PDA

View Full Version : Help!

Butterfly Hunter
12-Mar-2012, 10:21 PM
HI,i need advice on how to get close to a Painted Jezebel.I tried to but it flew away.:hmmm:

Glorious Begum
12-Mar-2012, 10:51 PM
Ahem.. Les

Commander
12-Mar-2012, 11:06 PM
Ahem.. Les

:bsmile: :bsmile: :bsmile:

Archduke
12-Mar-2012, 11:16 PM
My experience with the Painted Jezebel is that there isnt really much point in chasing it around unless its in the resting or feeding mood. Occasionally, we do encounter them feeding on nectaring flowers. It is definitely not a planned event where I go out to the field to find the particular butterfly. Another point, this could be purely co-incidental, but most of my shots of the PJ resting is roughly around 3pm.

If your thinking of shooting the bugger when it is resting, its the best to slowly inch your way in without any sudden movements or disturbing any of the connecting branches/twigs/leaves (if ur in the undergrowth), quite similar to tracking the other butts that are stationary. When they are feeding, they would be quite oblivious to you but they would probably be skipping from flower to flower, so chancing on the right angle may be your best bet.

Just my 2 cents worth, the other veteran shooters may provide better or more scientific approaches to shooting this wee beauty. Or alternatively, somewhere up north in Koh Samui, resides a male Painted Jezebel by the name of Leslie that is certainly not that camera shy =P

Painted Jezebel
12-Mar-2012, 11:58 PM
Ahem.. Les

A short flight by Silk Air will do it!:grin2: Alternatively, I will be in Singapore for the evenings of 11th and 19th May.

Grass Demon
13-Mar-2012, 10:43 AM
My solution - breed them:sweat: and when they hatch, you have lots of time to photograph them, in pristine condition too:gbounce: .

Elbowed Pierrot
13-Mar-2012, 01:25 PM
Pray to the Butterfly fairy and some day you find one right infront of you
when you don't have a camera with you :)

Butterfly Hunter
17-Mar-2012, 10:01 PM
Thanks and yes,when i dont have my camera with me things just start popping out of nowhere