PDA

View Full Version : ID Help needed

Commander
31-Jan-2012, 10:24 AM
A reader of our blog asked if any of us can ID this fella. At a glance, it looks like a normal Great Mormon, but if you look carefully, it has a little tail on the hindwing! Can anyone help?

Painted Jezebel
31-Jan-2012, 11:03 AM
I can't see the photo. It could be just me, as I often can not see all of Horace's life history photos, (I wait for the blog articles, which come out fine). I think it may be down to how the photo is uploaded.

Silverstreak
31-Jan-2012, 10:12 PM
Here is another two with tails:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9f/Papilio-pjt1.jpg/800px-Papilio-pjt1.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3a/1_Papilio_sp._2.jpg

atronox
31-Jan-2012, 10:26 PM
Could be Papilio lowi or ascalaphus.

Psyche
31-Jan-2012, 10:29 PM
These two males with long tails are Palawan Papilio lowi, also treated as a subspecies of P. memnon by some.

The one in which the male have a short stubby tail is P. deiphobus deiphontes from the northern Moluccas (Maluku) ie. Ternate, Bachan, Helmaheira.
The normotypic P. deiphobus deiphobus has long tails.

TL Seow:cheers:
PS. I have the same problem as Les here.

atronox
31-Jan-2012, 10:35 PM
These two males with tails are Palawan Papilio lowi, also treated as a subspecies of P. memnon by some.

The one in which the male have a short stubby tail is P. deiphobus deiphontes from the northern Moluccas (Maluku) ie. Ternate, Bachan, Helmaheira.

I think Mr Seow is right, the only way to be sure is to check the underside lunules.

Commander
31-Jan-2012, 11:30 PM
I can't see the photo.

I'd earlier hotlinked to the photographer's website. Now I've uploaded it here. Should be able to see now?

Psyche
01-Feb-2012, 01:06 AM
It is the Philippine P. deiphobus rumanzovia.