View Full Version : Butterflies for ID, Phu Wiang North East Thailand

guldsmed
18-Jan-2012, 05:54 AM
I had hoped I would be more self suffient this time, but as the book is still not out...

I have butterfly pics from Nam Nao (few), Phu Wiang (few), Khao Soi Dao (many), Khaeng Krachan (some) and Wonakorn Beach (few) this time.

I also have some odes and LOTS of moths (especially from Nam Nao and Phu Wiang, but also from the other sites).

I hope some of you guys will help me out again :whistle:

In this thread I will start with the Phu Wiang stuff, I have tentative IDs for some, but I did not do very well last tine, and I guess I will have made lots of errors again :sweat:

I start with a skipper and a small blue (2 pics of probably same individual)

guldsmed
18-Jan-2012, 05:56 AM
3 easy ones (I hope...)

guldsmed
18-Jan-2012, 05:59 AM
An easy one and a skipper and a blue, where I am clueless...

guldsmed
18-Jan-2012, 06:01 AM
An easy one and two more unidentified skippers...

guldsmed
18-Jan-2012, 06:09 AM
A satyrine and a very worn nymphaline (Cirrochroa? Vindula? or ???)

guldsmed
18-Jan-2012, 06:13 AM
And the last ones from this area are Euploea spp., which several helpful persons here tried to give me a crash course in last time, lets see if I learned anything (or sure I did, but do I remember???)

Psyche
18-Jan-2012, 08:13 PM
Post 1
2. Should be Zizeeria karsandra. Forewing with cell spot; maha have prominent peripheral spots.

Post 3
1 is Catochrysops strabo. Note costal (forward margin) spot away from band.
2 is probably Pseudoborbo bevani. 3 spots in space 2,3, & 6; ochreous grpound; Borbo cinnara have greenish shading.

Post 4.
2 is probably Pelopidas conjunctus. 2 cell spots away from big spot in space 2; 3 subapical spots.
3 is a worn Badamia exclamationis.Long forewing; banded body.

Post 5.
1 probably right.
2 is Cirrochroa tyche. Broad silver band & upperside marks.

Post 6
1 is E. klugii. Forewing shape indicates eunice or klugii. E. eunice larger, darker with smaller spots.
2 should be E. modesta. Very difficult but hindwing with cell spot ; submarginal spots large, forewing shape. (possibles are core(apex with dots), midamus sylvester & algea.See
http://yutaka.it-n.jp/dan/30240001.html
3 is correct.

TL Seow:cheers:

guldsmed
18-Jan-2012, 08:26 PM
Amazing how you folks are always ready to help here :thumbsup:

What about my own suggestions, you do not comment on them, does that mean I got lucky this time?

One out of three Euploea correct is a definite improvement :bsmile:

Psyche
18-Jan-2012, 10:05 PM
Amazing how you folks are always ready to help here :thumbsup:

What about my own suggestions, you do not comment on them, does that mean I got lucky this time?

One out of three Euploea correct is a definite improvement :bsmile:

You could be right that no. 2 post 6 is E. core. The series of larger spots near the hindwing margin match E. core better than modesta, but all the pics show at least some small spots on the forewing apex.
http://yutaka.it-n.jp/dan/30270020.html
http://yutaka.it-n.jp/dan/30270030.html

TL Seow:cheers:

guldsmed
19-Jan-2012, 05:19 AM
At least i am not far off, they seem to be quite difficult, though. I tend to believe your suggestion better than my own. if anyone else have opinions about this I would be happy to hear them.

Else I will file it as probably modesta but possibly core :-)

Painted Jezebel
19-Jan-2012, 08:59 AM
The ones you named are correct. However, please note that it is Hebomoia, not Hebomola.

I also suspected that the Crow was E. modesta.

guldsmed
19-Jan-2012, 04:23 PM
Thx a lot to both of you!

That was the easy part....