PDA

View Full Version : Which Mycalesis?

horace2264
03-Jan-2012, 01:53 AM
I have pics of two Mycalesis with unknown species ID. :-(
Dr Seow, please assist in providing an ID. :)

Pic 1: Shot in the field

Pic 2: specimen bred from an agg

Psyche
03-Jan-2012, 08:30 AM
Both are M. perseoides.

Individual 1.
The forewing marginal area is heavily whitened (resembling visala). Usually it is less so.
The hindwing white band is angled in at the top (resembling intermedia/distanti ). Again usually it is less so.
The indentation line (which forms the inner margin of the hindwing eyespots) is open and jagged. This is typical.
The sub-basal line forms a tooth at vein 1b, extending past it. This is diagnostic.

Individual 2.
This have the indentation line less jagged/irregular (resembling visala ).
The sub-basal line forms a tooth at vein 1b, revealing its ID.

TL Seow:cheers:
PS. Here is M. visala for comparison.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-sW710hltgfM/TpmILBgrDdI/AAAAAAAAE0M/QQveO3kJwtQ/s400/DSC2440%2BLong%2BBrand%2BBush%2BBrown.jpg

Psyche
03-Jan-2012, 11:15 AM
A word of caveat is necessary here with the ID of Mycalesis.
They are particularly difficult.
The IDs given are based on my own observations of what I can gleam from the books, and on the net of what I am able to judge as valid examples.
These are the conclusions formed.

M. perseoides : sub-basal line forms a distinct tooth at the lower end; identation line often very irregular.
M. visala : local forms- marginal areas heavily whitened; subbasal line no tooth at lower end; indentation line usually shallow.
M. mineus : marginal areas not whitened;forewing 2 spots; hindwing spots usually well in line; indentation line usually deeply triangular.
M. perseus: hindwing spots well out of line; forewing spots arranged in an arc; hindwing white band often curved slightly outwards towards upper end.

Two to look out for.
M. distanti(previously M. intermedia distanti) ; forewing 2 spots;strong white shading; hindwing white band angled in at upper end.
M. horsfieldi. similar to perseoides but subbasal line without tooth at lower end; hindwing spots well in line.

I don't really know if I am correct all the way as each species is quite variable.

horace2264
03-Jan-2012, 02:42 PM
Many thanks, Dr Seow for the detailed explanation and description of the difference between the various Mycalesis spp. :)

Based on my sighting (and one breeding round) records, It appears that M. perseoides is rather common in Singapore, may be even more so than M. mineus.

Peacock Royal
03-Jan-2012, 11:32 PM
Allow me to post 4 shots here for comparisons.
I guess all of them are Dark Brand Bush Brown (Mycalesis mineus macromalayana).

Psyche
03-Jan-2012, 11:48 PM
Allow me to post 4 shots here for comparisons.
I guess all of them are Dark Brand Bush Brown (Mycalesis mineus macromalayana).

The first three are correctly M. mneus.
The last one is M. perseoides.
Note the indentation line that forms the inner margin of the hindwing spots is very irregular & jagged.
The sub-basal dark line forms a tooth near vein 1b and continues into space 1a.