PDA

View Full Version : My last for 2011

Painted Jezebel
01-Jan-2012, 04:12 PM
The last few days of 2011 were not too bad, weatherwise. I managed to get out a bit, but did not really see anything amazing unfortunately.

1) Catapaecilma major emas (Gray Tinsel). It may only be a rare recent rediscovery in Singapore, but it is quite common up here. I am always hoping that one may turn out to be C. elegans, but no luck so far!
2) Faunis caenens arcesilas (Common Faun). Common, but one of my better photos!
3&4) Cepora iudith malaya, male (Orange Gull). When feeding the species only ever partially opens its wings, this is as far as it goes.
5 - 7) Various Mycalesis species. Both dry and wet season forms are present! Apart from saying they belong to the mineus group, I really can not get to grips with this Genus.

Blue Jay
01-Jan-2012, 05:26 PM
Uncle Les, congrats on the sharp and beautiful shots!:thumbsup: The orange gull is quite beautiful, especially its upperside.

Psyche
01-Jan-2012, 08:14 PM
5 is M. mineus.
The identation line is deep, triangular and in this instance, broken thru and divides the ocelli into 2 groups.
Note the ocelli in space 2 & 3 rather large and in line with the upper ocellus in space 1b.

6 is M. perseoides.
Note the tooth of the sub-basal line at vein 1b .(all other have the line ending at vein 1b.)
The indentation line is not so irregular as typical of this species.

7 have two spots on the forewing and the hindwing white band curved/angled in at the top.
It is either M. intermedia or distanti, both of which have these 2 features.

TL Seow:cheers:

Painted Jezebel
02-Jan-2012, 09:22 AM
Thank you, Brian, for your kind comments. My efforts pale into insignificance when compared to the other members of this site.

Thank you for the IDs, Seow. This now confirms 4 mineus group species here (already have M. perseus and M. intermedia positively identified). All I now need is to find definite examples of M. visala and M. distanti in my large group of old photos! I can not consider my own identifications as 'confirmed', as has been proved many times in the past.

WillFolsom
02-Jan-2012, 10:31 AM
Les: Glad to see you posting images for the end of one year and the start of another. I still have 3 more months to wait, although our weather is incredibly warm; plants are starting to sprout. We'll get hit hard by freezing weather and that will alter hibernation/growth patterns. Not a good sign for a health 2012 butterfly season. William