View Full Version : Samui 9.Nov 2011

Painted Jezebel
10-Nov-2011, 09:14 AM
Due to the suprisingly benign weather we are having at the moment, I went to a new wooded area near to a friend's bungalow complex. As elsewhere on the Island, very little about but there were a few.

1) Arhopala atosia or A. lurida. I can't tell these two apart. However, the tail is missing, so that also brings in A. epimuta as a possibility. Also note the small additional spot in the basal area of space 7 hindwing.
2 & 3) I think these two show a male Arhopala ariana ariana.
4) This can only be one of 3 species, Bibasis sena uniformis, Hasora proxissima and Hasora mavis. I don't think B. sena uniformis has been found this far north, and the other ssp., B. s. sena, has not been seen this far south. H. proxissima has not been found this far south, so that leaves Hasora mavis, could it be another male? It was high up in a tree, in full sunshine, and it has been severely cropped.
5) This shot is an embarrassment, and I was not going to show it. However, I think this may be a new Prosotas species for me (it was very small). Again, taken at a long distance, high up in a tree. I am hoping that enough details can be seen to provide a tentative ID, but I am not holding my breath.

Psyche
10-Nov-2011, 05:28 PM
It is a difficult point whether it is atosia or lurida.
Here south atosia is very poorly contrasted on the underside.
http://malaysianinsects.web.fc2.com/Arhopala-atosia.htm

2 & 3 keyed out as A. ariana.

4 There is hint of orange on the thorax and the legs indicating it is B. sena. Here is a worn example.
http://193.166.3.2/pub/sci/bio/life/insecta/lepidoptera/ditrysia/hesperioidea/hesperiidae/coeliadinae/bibasis/sena-1v.jpg

5. Prosotas but which ?
P. aluta have the postdiscal band dislocated at vein 4.
P. lutea have very pale yellowish underside.
P. dubiosa have the margins of the postdiscal band very irregular.
P. gracilis & nelides have the postdiscal band macular (discrete spots.)
P bhutea have darkened wingbase.

It is either P. nora or P. pia.
Should be P. nora as the marginal/submarginal spots in P. pia are faded & would looked worse here.

TL Seow:cheers:

Painted Jezebel
11-Nov-2011, 09:07 AM
Thank you. At least it appears I now can ID A. ariana with some degree of confidence!

The B. sena is of interest to me as I do not think I have come across this here before, certainly not a pristine specimen with the orange hindwing cilia. I have checked the photo against those confirmed as H. mavis, and I can see what you mean about the leg colouring. Also, the white band does not appear as broad. The trouble is that there is no known male H. mavis to compare it with.

The Prosotas species is disappointing, as it appeared tailless to me, and I had hoped it may have been P. lutea sivoka, which, again, would have been new to the Island. Ah well, can't win them all!