PDA

View Full Version : I think these may be misidentified!

Painted Jezebel
06-Oct-2011, 12:31 PM
Today is my bridge day, so I am unable to go out butterflying. With the monsoon season due in the next few weeks, I try to prepare myself work indoor work.

To this end I have been reviewing some of my photos, and I think I have found a couple of errors.

1) I have this as Deremas livens evansi (Common Bluejohn). However, the more I look at it, the more I think it should be Deremas nolens pasteuri (Orange-Crowned Bluejohn). Although C&P says that this is a wholly montane species, Samui seems to be different.
2,3&4) I only have one species of Allotinus in my list, A. unicolor. However, looking at my photos, I appear to have at least two different females. Could one be A. horsefieldi?

Any opinions?

Psyche
06-Oct-2011, 03:22 PM
The ID is correct. D. livens is the only one with a rich reddish brown ground colour. The underside of nolens is buff.
The amount of orange on the black spot is variable in the male.

Interesting name for the butt. I don't suppose there is one called Longjohn.

All 3 are A. unicolor. The 2nd is the typical one with the hindwing postdiscal spot in space 6 lying inside that in spacee 7 & space 5.
1 & 3 have poorly formed spots, but wing shape and colour are typical for unicolor.

TL Seow:cheers:

Painted Jezebel
06-Oct-2011, 09:49 PM
Damn. I had hoped I had something else. Never mind. Deremas livens is still a nice find. The strong orange spot, and the strong white mrkings made me wonder. Still 321:grin2: , but trying hard!