PDA

View Full Version : Prosotas aluta?

horace2264
22-Sep-2011, 11:00 AM
Found these two shots in my photo archive, taken back in 2008 in the Central Catchment Reserve (near Jelutong Tower). The second blurred in-flight shot suggests that this is a male.

Dr Seow, could this be a male P. aluta?

Psyche
22-Sep-2011, 02:50 PM
Yes, it is Prosotas aluta.

The key features are : like a 6-line Blue.
The forewing postdiscal band is dislocated at the bottom at vein 4, & the last segment in space 3 shifted inwards (basad).
On the hindwing the submarginal spots in space 3 & 4 ,immediately above the ocellus are pointed arrowheads.

It have been taken before in SIME forest which I believed it is in CCA, probably in the same year.
http://media.photobucket.com/image/jamides/log1t3ch/DSC_1657.jpg?o=19

Still congratulations are in order.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :jumjoy:

TL Seow:cheers:

horace2264
22-Sep-2011, 03:19 PM
Many thanks, Dr Seow for the confirmation of the ID.
The other pic was taken by Anthony (aka Great Mormon). :)

I suppose we have enough sightings to confirm this +1 for the Singapore checklist. The ID keys of this species, as pointed out by Dr Seow, set it "easily" apart from the other look-alike spp. (6-line blues and the Pointed Line Blue).

Some of u might want to double-check your photo archive, just in case you had earlier filed it under either UFOs or 6-line blues or the pointed line blue.

horace2264
22-Sep-2011, 05:02 PM
Found another possible P. aluta in my photo archive, taken back in 2007.

Dr Seow, what do you think? The upper 2 spots in the FW post discal band are not aligned as in those in my earlier pic. :thinking:

Psyche
22-Sep-2011, 05:40 PM
Found another possible P. aluta in my photo archive, taken back in 2007.

Dr Seow, what do you think? The upper 2 spots in the FW post discal band are not aligned as in those in my earlier pic. :thinking:

This is a female Pointed Line-blue.
The postdiscal band is broken into 4 spots and the hindwing is angular.

Psyche
22-Sep-2011, 05:56 PM

All due credits to Anthony as well.:thumbsup: :cheers:

Also congrats. Anthony for the record shot of Polyura moori in Dec. 2007 which you shared with Tan C.P.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :jumjoy:
http://media.photobucket.com/image/polyura/log1t3ch/DSC_7170.jpg?o=12

(Correction: Wrong ID. All credits to Mark, Anthony's twin. )

Commander
22-Sep-2011, 06:20 PM

:bsmile: Even online, the twins can be confused with each other! That shot belongs to Mark Wong, not Anthony.

Horace, if you have the time, perhaps you could indicate with some arrows and annotation on the ID characteristics of this new find so that the rest can cross check their UFO bins. :)

horace2264
22-Sep-2011, 07:44 PM
This is a female Pointed Line-blue.
The postdiscal band is broken into 4 spots and the hindwing is angular.

Thanks for the ID correction. The following is one specimen which I ID'ed as a female Pointed Line Blue sometimes ago.

The hindwing is not so angular as in the male specimens I encounter in the field. :thinking: Could the angular hindwing be a feature shared in both sexes or just the male of Pointed Line Blue?

:bsmile: Even online, the twins can be confused with each other! That shot belongs to Mark Wong, not Anthony.

Horace, if you have the time, perhaps you could indicate with some arrows and annotation on the ID characteristics of this new find so that the rest can cross check their UFO bins. :)

No problem, I will do it later tonight (if Sunny has not beaten me to it).

Oh, apology to Mark. :embrass: Thanks, Khew for the correction.

Psyche
23-Sep-2011, 12:21 AM
Thanks for the ID correction. The following is one specimen which I ID'ed as a female Pointed Line Blue sometimes ago.

The hindwing is not so angular as in the male specimens I encounter in the field. :thinking: Could the angular hindwing be a feature shared in both sexes or just the male of Pointed Line Blue?

This is quite interesting. I have assumed that the female have quite an angular squarish hindwing all the time, but your 2nd individual proved eitherwise. However the postdiscal band is still distinctive.

horace2264
23-Sep-2011, 01:08 AM
This is quite interesting. I have assumed that the female have quite an angular squarish hindwing all the time, but your 2nd individual proved eitherwise. However the postdiscal band is still distinctive.

Thanks for the ID confirmation. The book "Butterflies of Borneo" has plates of both sexes of the pointed line blue. I will double-check the shape of hindwings when I get the chance to flip the book again.

Here is the illustration Khew asked for earlier.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q275/horace2264/P_aluta_versus_N_berenice.jpg

Commander
12-Jan-2014, 05:59 PM
We encountered this species again today, and fortunately, managed to finally get a voucher specimen (although not pristine). But the markings on the upperside and colour match without any doubt, so we will add this species to the checklist soon.

Mark, can you check the date of your shot that you took above? If it's earlier than the one shot by Horace, then you'll be credited with the new discovery. :)

bluefin
12-Jan-2014, 09:52 PM
Buat Ah, good start for 2014.

Congrats Mark, Ant & Horace. :cheers:

Commander
13-Jan-2014, 10:58 AM
Horace's 26 Feb 2008 shot precedes Mark's 15 Mar 2008 shot. Anyone else who has an even earlier shot than this? Otherwise credit will be to Horace for first discovering this new species to Singapore. :)

Great Mormon
13-Jan-2014, 12:49 PM
Huat ah! a great start to a new year!

Peacock Royal
13-Jan-2014, 11:48 PM
Congrats, Horace.