PDA

View Full Version : Wandering around this weekend

WillFolsom
05-Sep-2011, 08:15 AM
Nothing quite as fabulous and some of the shots I've seen posted today, but offering them up for you to look at.

There are quite a few buckeyes around this year and they are tolerating a close approach. One rather tattered Eastern-tailed blue. Couldn't quite get it lined up. I was flat on the ground and couldn't get as parallel as i should have. I used the Italian version of "nuoc-mam" to attract the Northern Pearly-eye back since I didn't have any shrimp paste. I used anchovy paste and it worked; this rather tattered guy was feeding on the remnants. I'll use more next year. Tip of the hat to the BC for sharing the "secret" formula.

I also included an Eastern Tiger Swallowtail (female) with her gorgeous blue colors. They are still around, but not as abundant as they were earlier in August.

I also included a couple of environmental shots of "turtlehead" the host plant for the Baltimore Checkerspot that we've been working 10 years to bring back. No luck. Those white spots are all the flowers of the turtlehead and it appears we have a very good crop of those going this year. Unfortunately, they should now be full of caterpillar nests, but i couldn't find a single one.

A curious year. Everything was late and more or less active in August. Saw a few new species and missed many, many old species. Our Seven Sons plant is in full bloom, but few species are feeding on it unlike previous years when we'd find all kinds of butterflies drawn to it.

These images have all been prepared thanks to Sunny's kind sharing of his Photoshop Actions. William

moloch
05-Sep-2011, 06:44 PM
Very interesting, William. Too bad about the Baltimore Checkerspots. I have only seen photos and they look to be beautiful.

Your Eastern Tailed Blue is much like a few of the Lycaenids in Malaysia.

I never noticed that there was so much blue on the Tiger Swallowtails. It really is lovely.

I used anchovy paste and it worked; this rather tattered guy was feeding on the remnants.
Sounds like a good alternative. I bet over-ripe bananas would work for the Satyrinae as well.

Spring has arrived and the butterflies are beginning to emerge near Wollongong. My wife and I are heading overseas next week so I will miss the first few weeks of the season. Once we return, I hope to photograph and post more of the Aussie butterflies. I will zip up to the northern tropics in November and give the shrimp paste a go. I want to see if it works with the Aussie species.

Regards,
David

Bluebottle
05-Sep-2011, 10:58 PM
The Eastern Tiger Swallowtail is such a showy butterfly. Hope to photographer it one day :cheers:

WillFolsom
06-Sep-2011, 07:58 AM
Guys: Very prolific during August & September. Very easy to approach. They don't scare easily. I've hand-held many. David: The female has the blue colors; the males are all black. William

Silverstreak
06-Sep-2011, 12:04 PM
Beautiful shots !:thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing these beauties from you area !

Cheers!

WillFolsom
07-Sep-2011, 09:19 AM
Loke: Just a quick trip and I'll take you shooting! The word "quick" in this context is more like 24 hours of flying. Still, hotel and food prices are not that bad all things considered. You'd have your own chauffer who would take you to the exact spots to find lots of them. Only problem is you'll have to hurry. Won't be here too much longer. I missed summer already! William

Bluebottle
08-Sep-2011, 09:56 PM
Loke: Just a quick trip and I'll take you shooting! The word "quick" in this context is more like 24 hours of flying. Still, hotel and food prices are not that bad all things considered. You'd have your own chauffer who would take you to the exact spots to find lots of them. Only problem is you'll have to hurry. Won't be here too much longer. I missed summer already! William
Haha, thanks William for the kind offer. Summer is always waiting for you over here :)