PDA

View Full Version : Jamides for ID

Yano
28-Aug-2011, 07:23 PM
Today in the Upper Seletar Jungle, photographed a Jamides.
It was very small, wingspan about 20mm I estimate.
It was flying slowly close to the ground and I did not think it was a Jamides until it finally perched.
It is a female I think. Upperside is white with the black border widened at the apical area. Photos are the same individual.
Yano:)

p.s.
It was nice meeting you Brian and Daddy(sorry I did not as for your name).
Did you enjoy photographing today?

atronox
28-Aug-2011, 11:45 PM
This one's very interesting.
Although i'm pretty sure it's an aberration of some other spp, there's always the possibility that it's sth new:)
The only way to see if it's sth new is if that area where this specimen was found be thoroughly searched for the next few days and hopefully, more than one specimen like this will show up.:grin2:

Psyche
28-Aug-2011, 11:58 PM
It is still recognisable as a female Common Caerulean.

TL Seow:cheers:

Commander
29-Aug-2011, 12:27 AM
Yup. I concur with Seow's view on this. Still a Common Caerulean. In the "Butterflies of Hong Kong", on page 239, J celeno is described as having dry- and wet season forms, where the DSF is noted as being "strikingly different".

I wonder if the phenomenon also extends to J. celeno in Singapore. :thinking:

Yano
29-Aug-2011, 01:19 AM
Thank you all for sharing your knowledge and suggestions.
Be it an aberration or seasonal form of J.celeno now I understand that the wing patterns could be very variable.
I attach another photo which I now believe is a J. celeno. (not taken on Aug 28) Am I right?
I also attach the location where the first Jamides was photographed, just in case. I went in from Upper Seleter Reservoir, up the hill and then turned west. Actually it was close to the north shore of Upper Peirce :)
Yano

Psyche
29-Aug-2011, 02:06 AM
Yes. This one is more typical.

Yano
29-Aug-2011, 11:19 PM
Many thanks Seow. So it is a Common Caerulean.
The darkened area between the white lines seemed to suggest some link with the Sky Blue.
Yano

Psyche
30-Aug-2011, 12:54 AM
Many thanks Seow. So it is a Common Caerulean.
The darkened area between the white lines seemed to suggest some link with the Sky Blue.
Yano

The Sky Blue have the basal (or innermost) band on the hindwing brokened/dislocated into 3 parts.

Blue Jay
10-Sep-2011, 10:03 PM
Hi Yano, nice meeting you too. The first few Common Caerulean shots that you posted seemed a little strange. The bands were quite thick compared to the normal ones sighted, also, the bands in the miidle of the hindwing are very close together.:thinking: I wonder whats the reason?