View Full Version : Neptis harita/omeroda?

Painted Jezebel
05-Aug-2011, 10:02 AM
Attached are two photos which I have in my Neptis harita file. However, the spot in space 2 of the forewing in the second photo (a very old photo taken with my original box brownie) does not appear to be crescent shaped. Could this be Neptis omeroda?

Commander
05-Aug-2011, 10:34 AM
The forewing sub-apical spots of the 2nd individual are also distinctly different from the usual harita arrangement.

How does this compare with N anjana hyria?

Psyche
05-Aug-2011, 12:50 PM
Looking at these 2 , I was at first convinced they have to be 2 different species, but only in N. harita is the submarginal band on the hindwing divided into a distinct row of spots.

TL Seow:cheers:
PS. Les, if it is not too late, the Maliau Basin post 127 page 13 by David should be Neptis ilira.
I did'nt know Yutaka website have images of Neptis.
I was using the key and since it is a male, noted it did not match the male ilira in C&P4 on a number of points.
( In hindsight it seems to match omeroda even less.)

Painted Jezebel
06-Aug-2011, 03:57 PM
Thanks, Seow. Do I take it, then, that the shape of the spot is not reliable for the identification of this group of Neptis species, as it is mentioned in the C&P4 key, lines 23 & 24?

Psyche
06-Aug-2011, 05:19 PM
Looking at all the images available on Yutaka, C&P4, Fleming, and at the forums, my conclusions are;

N. harita; forewing spot in space 2 usually crescentric; hindwing band divided & chain-like.

N. ilira; forewing spot variable, subapical spots narrow/longish; hindwing band entire.

N. omeroda; forewing spot rather large, quadrate/rounded, subapical spots short & broad; hindwing band entire.

TL Seow:cheers:

Painted Jezebel
06-Aug-2011, 05:27 PM
Thank you again. I note the word 'usually' for N. harita. So the first thing to look at is the hindwing band, followed by the subapical markings. I have rechecked all my photos, and I only have N. harita:thumbsdow .