View Full Version : Appias albina

Painted Jezebel
30-Jul-2011, 09:34 AM
During my last trip out, I saw very little, except for a huge number of Appias albina. What was suprising was that I came across the dry season form of the female and both wet season forms.

To show why this species is confusing, here are examples. I know this species is not found in Singapore, but with so many members making the trip up into Malaysia, I thought it may be of interest.

1- Dry season female - this can look like a male Appias paulina to add to the confusion.
2- Wet season female f. principalis.
3- Wet season female f. semiflava.

moloch
30-Jul-2011, 01:58 PM
These shots were interesting, Les. It is amazing to see the differences in the dry/wet forms of A. albina.

How have conditions been on Samui? Finding much? I returned to a miserable two weeks of cold rain. July was the wettest in my area since 1950. I hope that La Nina is not on again.

Painted Jezebel
30-Jul-2011, 03:55 PM
These shots were interesting, Les. It is amazing to see the differences in the dry/wet forms of A. albina.

How have conditions been on Samui? Finding much? I returned to a miserable two weeks of cold rain. July was the wettest in my area since 1950. I hope that La Nina is not on again.

Been out only twice since I got back, and saw nothing. Weather appaling, cloudy, very strong winds and frequent heavy showers, we're having one as I type!