PDA

View Full Version : I think it is +1 for Singapore

Silverstreak
29-Jul-2011, 10:28 PM
Shot this skipper today, what make it stand out is the hindwing yellow cilia and red eyes.

A quick check on CP4 naroow it down to The Genus Zela (pg371)

The genus is chiefly distinguised by the very short hindwing cell. The only species with hindwing tornal cilia yellow or orange, and the eyes are red

From available infor within C&P 4 and the two shots as attached showing the forewing spot in space 3 , I am inclined to think this is the Zela Zenon.

Dr Seow and all skipper experts,

You assistance will be much appreciated!!!

:cheers:

Great Mormon
29-Jul-2011, 10:31 PM
Congrads Sunny for the find! Species 302? :cheers:

Commander
29-Jul-2011, 11:33 PM
Haha... Good one, Sunny. Congrats on nailing your +1. If you were at the "hangar" today, then you've shot an individual of Zela storeyi. My last specimen from that location was in 1999! Glad to see it back.

Dr Kirton and Col Eliot have written a paper in MNSJ on the re-classification of the genus Zela some time back and using references to 2 specimens of this species that I had obtained from this location. A 3rd specimen was shot at MacRitchie boardwalk but I managed only a lousy shot.

It is another rattan feeder and a rarity. Col Eliot reclassified this species in honour of Hugh Storey a prominent collector in Malaysia who has since passed away.

Congrats in any case cos no one else has shot this species so far except for those shots in the Field Guide. No 302 yet. But Federick may have that honour with his re-discovery of Parnara ganga over in the other thread.

Psyche
29-Jul-2011, 11:53 PM
Great you manage both upper & underside shot of the forewing, Sunny, otherwise the ID of Zela is rather difficult.

As Khew said, the Zela species have been totally revised so most of the pics in C&P4 are invalid.

It is interesting to note that on the underside, the forewing is shaded grey while the hindwing is shaded brown.

TL Seow:cheers:

Silverstreak
29-Jul-2011, 11:57 PM
:bsmile: Noted the checklist copy has no spot in fore wing space 3 or was it obscured? ......So the Zela zenon in C&P4 has been renamed to Zela storeyi ?

It was a fairy pristine copy! ...... I was rather slow in collecting it as a voucher specimen.;P

Commander
30-Jul-2011, 12:13 AM
The one in the book wasn't too pristine. Fresh individuals have very strong yellow cilia. Yes, the small spots are not very clear in those shots in the book, as I'd scanned them from slides. I was still using film camera in those days. ;P

If you have a chance, take a look at the MNSJ paper by Eliot & Kirton. It outlines the variations and a total revision of the ID keys for the genus Zela. Don't use the reference in C&P4 for this genus, as there have been major revisions to the species.

Seow, do you have a copy of that paper?

Commander
30-Jul-2011, 12:17 AM
It is interesting to note that on the underside, the forewing is shaded grey while the hindwing is shaded brown.

More likely due to the flash in a dark shady environment which this skipper likes. The brown is more evenly washed in an actual specimen.

Sunny, if it flew off and you managed to track it, it had a skip/hop flight pattern quite unlike those species that we are more familiar with in that area. It doesn't fly as fast as the Erionota or Hidari.

Psyche
30-Jul-2011, 12:23 AM
:bsmile: Noted the checklist copy has no spot in fore wing space 3 or was it obscured? ......So the Zela zenon in C&P4 has been renamed to Zela storeyi ?

It was a fairy pristine copy! ...... I was rather slow in collecting it as a voucher specimen.;P

You are right actually. Only 19 (Z, zenon ) need to be changed to Z. storeyi. The rest are the correct species. The actual Z. zenon have 2 large spots on the forewing.

Silverstreak
30-Jul-2011, 12:46 AM
More likely due to the flash in a dark shady environment which this skipper likes. The brown is more evenly washed in an actual specimen.

Sunny, if it flew off and you managed to track it, it had a skip/hop flight pattern quite unlike those species that we are more familiar with in that area. It doesn't fly as fast as the Erionota or Hidari.

I nearly passed it off as a Formasa Swift.... yes it does have a hop/skip flight , it crossed my path at the end of the runway when I was about to collect a Erionota hiraca apicalis that I promised you!:bsmile:

It was the red eyes and yellow cilia that attracted my attention and I gave chase and took a few shots with my ""cheating mode"" at ISO1250 1/20s F/10.....glad to have adequately captured the two identifiable shots! It took flight after the open wing shot into the deep shade. I spent close to 45 minutes trying unsuccessfully to relocated it ;P

..... well, I have my +1 and tomolo you all can comb the area for the two species.:)

:cheers:

Commander
30-Jul-2011, 12:50 AM
Good for you, Sunny! :cheers: After a long period, two species that I found in that area have returned - Arhopala aurea and this skipper. If the trend continues, the 3rd rarity should show up again. Loke and Federick saw it recently - Yellow Chequered Lancer. So, BC members, go pound that trail this weekend! :gbounce:

Silverstreak
30-Jul-2011, 12:59 AM
..... I shot the Yellow Chequered Lancer too and a Blur shot of the Flos fulgida singhapura .;P

So, in fact there are 6 rarities there:

Yellow Chequered Lancer

Chocolate Sailor

Flos fulgida singhapura

Arhopala aurea

Erionota hiraca apicalis

Zela storeyi

Mai Tu Liao!!!

Commander
30-Jul-2011, 01:10 AM
:thumbsup: But orh orh... :bsmile:

The Plane
30-Jul-2011, 01:12 AM
Wow, congrads Uncle Sunny :thumbsup: . :redbounce

Painted Jezebel
30-Jul-2011, 09:02 AM
Congratulations, again, Sunny. 2 +1s in a week or so, with all your experience, wow!!!

The pics in the Kirton & Eliot paper are slightly misleading, as they all only show a single spot in space 3, and no spot in 2. However, the key confirms that there can occasionally be a much reduced spot in space 2, as in your photograph. The spot in 2 for Z. zenon is larger.

Psyche
30-Jul-2011, 02:38 PM
The one in the book wasn't too pristine. Fresh individuals have very strong yellow cilia. Yes, the small spots are not very clear in those shots in the book, as I'd scanned them from slides. I was still using film camera in those days. ;P

If you have a chance, take a look at the MNSJ paper by Eliot & Kirton. It outlines the variations and a total revision of the ID keys for the genus Zela. Don't use the reference in C&P4 for this genus, as there have been major revisions to the species.

Seow, do you have a copy of that paper?

Yes, I do have a copy of the journal.

Glorious Begum
30-Jul-2011, 03:51 PM
Congrats Sunny. +2 in a week. :cheers:

atronox
31-Jul-2011, 09:54 PM
Congrats on finding this rare skipper!!!:grin2: