View Full Version : Swallow that came for a photo shoot

Grass Demon
06-Jul-2011, 12:05 PM
Yesterday, this freshly eclosed Papilio demolion demolion paid a visit to my front porch around lunch time. As my son happened to be at home the Banded Swallowtail posed for him to take a number of pictures. Strange thing was that it was not trying to sun itself as it flew out to the open and returned to the shade of my porch. It appears to be a female but I am not sure as my son did not have a close-up picture of its abdomen.

Considering its rarity it was a welcome visit.

Part of the deco?

Great Mormon
06-Jul-2011, 02:49 PM
A beautiful and pristine individual. :cheers:
The greens turned out very well. This must be a treat for the both of you.

Blue Nawab
06-Jul-2011, 10:54 PM
Wow, that's interesting...it surely knows the right place to take shelter and have a few photographs taken...strangely I too encountered one resting two days ago at the entrance of the first trail of USR. It's probably the season now for Banded Swallowtail butterflies! :cheers:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6012/5900349567_dd860e4797_b_d.jpg

teotp
06-Jul-2011, 11:50 PM
It's probably the season now for Banded Swallowtail butterflies!

I saw more than 12 specimens puddling on moist spots and wet ground at Lentang on 1 Jul 2011.

Teo T P

Blue Jay
09-Jul-2011, 06:10 PM
Pristine and fresh! Great:cheers:

Grass Demon
11-Jul-2011, 11:57 AM
Cher Hern

Possibility that both specimens were from the same batch as my house is walking distance to USR. On the other hand, the 2 specimens are different individuals as the one my son photographed has an additional spot on the forewing space 6.