PDA

View Full Version : Is this a Common Hedge Blue?

Yamfly
09-Apr-2011, 08:54 PM
Don't know if this is worth mentioning. Was out with my cousin shooting this afternoon when we spotted this butt puddling. He noticed some difference in the wing patterns and as I was in a more favorable position, I took a shot. True enough, there was an elongated black patch on the hindwing. Could this be another variant/form of the Common Hedge Blue? Can somebody please kindly advise. Thanks!!

http://dashwolfe.smugmug.com/Nature/Butterfly-Sightings/DPP1203/1245144194_HAE96-L.jpg

atronox
09-Apr-2011, 10:11 PM
I think this may be a kind of aberration known as melanism, which is very common among polyommatines.

Psyche
10-Apr-2011, 07:55 AM
This is certainly an aberration. Not sure though whether it can be considered an example of melanism, which means a general increase in dark pigment of all the wings.

TL Seow:cheers:

Yamfly
10-Apr-2011, 06:30 PM
I think this may be a kind of aberration known as melanism, which is very common among polyommatines.

This is certainly an aberration. Not sure though whether it can be considered an example of melanism, which means a general increase in dark pigment of all the wings.

TL Seow:cheers:

Thanks Aaron & Seow, learned something new again.

teotp
14-Apr-2011, 02:03 AM
QUOTE=atronox: I think this may be a kind of aberration known as melanism, which is very common among polyommatines

Three morphological distinct types of melanism were reported by Dr. Frederik H. Nijhout:

1. A general darkening of the background colour of the wing.
2. A broadening of existing dark pattern elements.
3. A change in colour of most or all pattern elements (e.g. switch from brown (phaeomelanin) to black (eumelanin)).

You are right, Aaron.

Teo T P