View Full Version : A few pics from Khao Khitchakut National Park for ID

guldsmed
28-Feb-2011, 06:36 AM
First one I think I got

guldsmed
28-Feb-2011, 06:40 AM
This one is a pure guess, and I never saw the upperside...

guldsmed
28-Feb-2011, 07:00 AM
I guess I got the genus, but the species is guess work again...

guldsmed
28-Feb-2011, 07:02 AM
Another maybe...

Painted Jezebel
28-Feb-2011, 08:50 AM
The first one is the Vagrant, Vagrans sinha sinha.

The second one is the Common Tit, Hypolycaena erylus himavantus.

The next is one of the celeno group of the Genus Jamides. Despite all Seow's teachings, I still have problems telling J. celeno (note the spelling) and J. pura apart! But I think that it is J. celeno celeno.

The last one is correct.

Psyche
28-Feb-2011, 09:44 AM
You flattered me Les ! But I think you are right since the striae are not well-aligned ( well not quite ) .

I am curious as to the change of name to the Vagrant.

TL Seow:cheers:

Painted Jezebel
28-Feb-2011, 12:02 PM
I am curious as to the change of name to the Vagrant.

To be honest, I am not absolutely sure. In Malaysia you have Vagrans egista as the name, in Thailand it is as I quoted. I have seen both used as separate species, but I am not sure this has been proven. If they are the same, then I believe it should be V. egista, as that name has precedence. This is perhaps the only occasion that I would prefer to call it by its English name, until everything is cleared up.

We'll see what Pisuth calls it in his second edition!

Psyche
28-Feb-2011, 12:24 PM
Checking through the net I realised what have happened. Someone have deemed the form from the Asiatic side sinha as different from the Moluccan/Papuan form egista.

The same goes for two others where the first name is Papuan.

Salatera liberia/panda.

Cethosia penthesilia/methypsea.

guldsmed
01-Mar-2011, 04:20 AM
Thx a lot again, the first someone told me (never trust that guy again - at least not without checking...), while the last 3 were my own feeble try at IDs.

guldsmed
01-Mar-2011, 05:23 AM
I have one more from the same general area - not from the national park, but from the garden of the resort where we stayed.

I thought I found the ID, but now I am beginnig to have doubts - maybe it is some species of Erionota instead?

Painted Jezebel
01-Mar-2011, 09:27 AM
Correct. Nice shot of this tricky species. It is very skittish!

guldsmed
01-Mar-2011, 03:59 PM
Thx again, it was taken before the sun was up, so maybe they did not see me so well. There were quite a few of them, and this flower was very popular, so maybe it was rather because of this attraction, that they did not let me spook them :-)