PDA

View Full Version : 300

Commander
28-Feb-2011, 12:02 AM
Since the Malayan Birdwing is still pending eclosion, and Simon's discovery of this rare skipper yesterday at Ubin, this little bugger has beaten the Birdwing to the tape for Singapore's 300th species. :gbounce: And Simon is credited with the discovery of this species, which is new to Singapore, as it was not recorded before here. :cheers:

I was determined to solve the mystery that Simon started yesterday, so when Chng, the twins and Bobby said that they wanted to go to Ubin today, I decided to go and hunt for this pesky fella again. Fortunately, the Butt Fairy smiled just as we were about to call it a day. It was almost like looking for a needle in a haystack. :sweat:

It appeared at the same location where Simon spotted it yesterday, but it was slightly more skittish, behaving similar to a Plastingia naga. It was skipping near a palm, where Anthony located two young caterpillars. So these cats may be of this species. Hopefully, Horace can oblige with a confirmation later. :)

As for now, we have species #300. But having seen the upperside, my own conclusion is that this is not a Salanoemia similis. The upperside markings correspond more closely to the Yellow Streak Darter (Salanoemia tavoyana). Will send a shot to Seow and Dr Kirton for confirmation later.

So in the meantime, we'll record it as Salanoemia sp. until confirmation.

Though C&P4 states that S. tavoyana is known only from South Burma and Kedawi, how it came to appear on a little offshore island in Singapore is one of Mother Nature's mysteries!

Here's a handheld shot without flash taken of our little "Spartan" 300 this morning. :)

Elbowed Pierrot
28-Feb-2011, 12:20 AM
nice shot, better than my 1m attempt that is blur :P

Peacock Royal
28-Feb-2011, 12:49 AM
Congrats guys.

Psyche
28-Feb-2011, 01:12 AM
This is quite a surprise. With the proper profile shot, the pointed forewing and the 2 long hyaline subapical spots already suggest that this is S. tavoyana.

TL Seow:cheers:

Commander
28-Feb-2011, 01:17 AM
Thanks, Seow. An amazing surprise indeed. That would suggest that the species should be found in the other parts of Malaysia as well, instead of just in Kedawi. It could not have skipped the southern parts of the peninsula and then appeared in Singapore. :thinking:

atronox
28-Feb-2011, 03:15 AM
Congrats to Simon for the rediscovery of this "unique-looking" skipper.:cheers:

Wanderer
28-Feb-2011, 07:22 AM
Contests! How big is it?

Painted Jezebel
28-Feb-2011, 09:06 AM
This is quite a surprise. With the proper profile shot, the pointed forewing and the 2 long hyaline subapical spots already suggest that this is S. tavoyana.

TL Seow:cheers:

Certainly appears so, the hyaline spots are a give-away. I am in shock that this should be found so far south, and so far from its known range.

Although not as spectacular as the Birdwing, I think that this deserves its place as #300 for its rarity.

Commander
28-Feb-2011, 09:23 AM
Congrats to Simon for the rediscovery of this "unique-looking" skipper.:cheers:

It's not a re-discovery. It was never found here before. In fact, based on C&P4, this is a northern Malaysian species that is found mainly in Thailand and Myanmar.

Contests! How big is it?

Contests? :hmmm:

About the size of a Chequered Lancer, perhaps slightly smaller.

Wanderer
28-Feb-2011, 09:41 AM
haahaa...i mean congrats. :P

tend to type rubbish before my daily kopi! :P

Cruiser
28-Feb-2011, 10:16 AM
Congrats to guys and especially Simon for 1st spotted it :cheers:

WillFolsom
28-Feb-2011, 11:24 AM
You all have contributed -- and continue to contribute -- to Singapore's knowledge of your natural resources. This not only benefit Singapore, but also to the world's body of understanding of butterflies. Congratulations to all! William

Bluebottle
28-Feb-2011, 04:31 PM
Congratulations guys :cheers:

Common Mime
28-Feb-2011, 10:52 PM
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Silverstreak
01-Mar-2011, 12:00 PM
Congratulation for 300!!!

So much happenings when we were away climbing hills in KL / Frasers looking for Ritra , Begum , Delias and Purple Sapphire!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

bluefin
01-Mar-2011, 02:08 PM
Last weekend has been exciting indeed.
Congrats to all, :cheers: .

Finally we have broken the 300 barrier.:redbounce

Birdwing
03-Mar-2011, 10:13 PM
Wow species no. 300!!! :what: Congrats!!! :cheers:

(yes I know I haven't been here a looong time but I'm really glad to see u guys still enthusiastically hard at work documenting Singapore's "lost" species and now here we are at #300!! Great milestone! )