PDA

View Full Version : Samui 26.2

Painted Jezebel
27-Feb-2011, 11:02 AM
Todays trip was very frustrating. I saw quite a few butts that I could not identify, but they were very uncooperative, staying up in the trees. The terrain also did not help, being so hilly that it was well nigh impossible to get close to and side on.

1) The sun played a trick on me with this. The burnished coppery colour fooled me into thinking it was something new. However, it turned out to be Psolos fuligo fuligo.

2) This is an Arhopala of the Alitaeus group. However, the hindwing markings do not appear consistent with anything I have come across before, particularly the position of the postdiscal spot in 6 in relation to the end cell bar and the postdiscal spot in 5). Any ideas somebody!

3) A sixline blue, but I appear to have a mental block on these. Is it Nacaduba kurava? (Very heavily cropped and badly positioned to the sun!)

4) This one I am sure about, Tirumala septentrionis septentrionis.

Psyche
27-Feb-2011, 08:02 PM
No 2 should be A. aida
There is no spot at the base of space 10 which will be directly above the mid-cell spot. ( The 2 costal spots are in space 10, & 11. The little spot at the corner of the cellend bar is at the base of space 9.) This and the slatey colour meaned it is either aida or havilandi.
The termen is straight with the apex slightly produced, giving the margin a slightly concave look typical of A. aida.

No 3 is N. kurava male.
The submarginal band/spots have the corners rounded typical of kurava.
Additional clues: Broken margin showed the upperside colour as purplish and not the deep violet of beroe; despite the distorted perspective the forewing is rather broader than the pointed shape of beroe.
The wingbase is darkened because of loss of scales.

TL Seow:cheers:

Painted Jezebel
27-Feb-2011, 08:33 PM
Thank you.