View Full Version : Need help on ID of skipper

Elbowed Pierrot
26-Feb-2011, 06:10 PM
Shot in Ubin, around the same vicinity as the wander.

https://bloggerfly.pixi.me/d/18178-2/IMG_6831.jpg
Flash blown out some of the details

https://bloggerfly.pixi.me/d/18197-2/IMG_6829.jpg
Original color and handshake :bsmile: , Forewing is orange while hindwing is yellowish

Psyche
26-Feb-2011, 06:59 PM
It look like you might have got something new. The only match I can find is Salanoemia similis. It is definitely not Z. doxus.
Need to double-check.

TL Seow:cheers:

Elbowed Pierrot
26-Feb-2011, 07:04 PM
Thanks Seow, Khew knew you could ID it :)

Commander
26-Feb-2011, 07:17 PM
I agree with Seow that this is one of the Salanoemia spp. Should've screamed for me to get a voucher specimen. The upperside is distinct enough for us the nail the ID. It's a very rare genus, and definitely something that would have been totally new for Singapore.

Time to get Sunny to stake out the area. :grin2:

Psyche
26-Feb-2011, 07:29 PM
Yup. Thats it. No other match possible except S. tavoyana its closest ally, but this have pointed forewing (like a Telicota) and is only found far north in Kedawi.

A round of applause is in order:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :jumjoy: :cheers:

TL Seow:cheers:

Elbowed Pierrot
26-Feb-2011, 07:33 PM
I agree with Seow that this is one of the Salanoemia spp. Should've screamed for me to get a voucher specimen. The upperside is distinct enough for us the nail the ID. It's a very rare genus, and definitely something that would have been totally new for Singapore.

Time to get Sunny to stake out the area. :grin2:

you know where the location :bsmile: start operation dinosaur

Peacock Royal
26-Feb-2011, 10:39 PM
Well done Simon.
You must come out to shoot often on weekends so that butts fairies will always smile on you.:)
After my last trip to Chek Jawa (http://peacockroyal.blogspot.com/2010/11/long-hike-to-chek-jawa-pulau-ubin.html), I have begun to see the need to explore other parts of Ubin.

atronox
27-Feb-2011, 02:32 AM
YAY!!! Another one!!!:cheers:
At first i thought this was a Zographetus sp.

Painted Jezebel
27-Feb-2011, 10:15 AM
WILL YOU ALL STOP THIS!!!!!. Two in one day,I can't cope. I think it very unfair, there are umpteen members in S'pore and only me on Samui!:grin2:

I totally agree with this identification, and it is a fantastic, and very unexpected, find. Congratulations on this and the Wanderer. Good luck on finding it again, and obtaining the voucher specimen which you need to get absolute confirmation.

Now, I am being forced back into the forest to try and find #322!

Peacock Royal
27-Feb-2011, 01:14 PM
Les, we still have a "long" way - 20+ species to catch up with Samui. You can employ some of us to add ++ to your list. :bsmile:

On a serious note, when is the best time to visit Samui to hunt for butts ? I am exploring different places.

Elbowed Pierrot
27-Feb-2011, 04:19 PM
Some good news via SMS, we have a specimen :)

Commander
27-Feb-2011, 04:29 PM
Yes!:grin2: On the boat and heading back now. Also got a cat that may be Species #300.:redbounce

Leopard Lacewing
27-Feb-2011, 06:23 PM
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Once again, Congratulation!!! :Cheers:

Painted Jezebel
27-Feb-2011, 06:44 PM
Les, we still have a "long" way - 20+ species to catch up with Samui. You can employ some of us to add ++ to your list. :bsmile:

On a serious note, when is the best time to visit Samui to hunt for butts ? I am exploring different places.

Best time for Samui and the Southern part of the Thai Peninsular provinces, south of Ranong is February to April. To be perfectly honest, the mainland is better, with much richer forests and easier terrain. (You have to be a mountain goat here on Samui!) I would recommend the areas around Khao Luang in Nakhon Sri Thammarat Province. There are many good areas within the National Park. If you go to the major waterfalls, you will have to pay a small fee to enter (100 Baht), but there are some smaller ones that are free. The Thais greatly revere their waterfalls, and most of them have paths leading to them. The only difficulty with the smaller ones is that they are miles from any paved road, and the unmade roads leading towards them are extremely rutted and full of potholes. The reason why I keep mentioning waterfalls, is that these are the best, and sometimes only, forest paths, and are where you are likely to come across the more interesting species.

Peacock Royal
27-Feb-2011, 08:38 PM
Les, thanks for your elaborations and recommendation.

Commander
28-Feb-2011, 01:43 PM
WILL YOU ALL STOP THIS!!!!!. Two in one day,I can't cope. I think it very unfair, there are umpteen members in S'pore and only me on Samui!:grin2:

Now, I am being forced back into the forest to try and find #322!

Actually, the story may not be over yet, Les. Anthony found a caterpillar that looks like a typical Limetidininae but it doesn't look like anything we've recorded so far. So it's now in Horace's good hands. We may have an additional species to report to make it a hattrick in one weekend on Ubin! :bsmile:

You certainly could use with our platoons of eyes and ears to search for new species in Samui.